I cannot decipher pottery signature but feel strongly well known potter

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by alynnfin, Mar 12, 2022.

1. alynnfin

alynnfin Well-Known Member

448D6B36-5338-4084-B864-AAC17BE7FC6E.jpeg 5F36B7D4-DC0A-4985-9D19-01337E5385CC.jpeg EEE49680-04BE-4A76-8D1F-7684FF668F10.jpeg IMG_2483__1647106638_93324.jpg IMG_2484__1647106713_40836.jpg IMG_2485__1647106747_56285.jpg IMG_2486__1647106782_99971.jpg I bought this signed pottery vase and feel strongly this is by a well known potter, but darned if I can read the name. It measures 8 1/2 inches from 8 1/2 inches. Came from Pennsylvania area near Baltimore and Philadelphia which are the closest major cities. That is all I know. Can you read this name? I've attached 4 photos of the name from slightly different angles. Thank you!

judy likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Looks like Clara to me.

3. alynnfin

I'll tried that, nothing pulled up. Dang I wish artist's signatures would all be readable block letters, so I could read them! But then the creativity and beauty would be gone.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

so luv it for the beauty it brings to your life.....
    & don't worry so much about who made it !!!;):inpain:

Francisco G Kempton likes this.
  5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Just wondering why you feel this way?

Joe in PA and komokwa like this.
  6. alynnfin

I bought it with another piece from the same home and the other piece was by Cliff Lee, so I thought the owner probably bought signature pieces. Plus it is really nice with great glazing.

bluumz likes this.
  7. alynnfin

I place to sell it.

8. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

A very good potter is not necessarily a very well-known potter.

10. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

:pompous::pompous: What!

No way hose, we have to know who is behind the backmark, It is part of the mystery. Every vase is a forensic investigation and analysis into the provience and history and authorship/Creator and the structural and cultural background as deinfed by Roland Barthes, both synchronically and Diachronically ( as it changes over the course of time) in the words of Ferdinand de Saussure the creator of the modern theory of Structualism.

Those little scribbles and backmarks mean so much too. :pics:

11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

What the heck do you mean by all that, Francisco?

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

no mystery too small .......

13. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

............ Or "it is what is is" (Immanuel Kant summarized) :angelic:

14. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

In a manner, Hermenuetics versus post modernism, where pottery is unique positioned to be very interesting, as a book that is so closely tied to the cultural themes of that era, and yet we need the author to help locate it.

15. alynnfin

bercrystal likes this.
  16. alynnfin

Yes, to at least help clarify it by the artist's era, locale, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted