Featured I bought this little wood turned Top Hat with Stand, back in 2003 -

Discussion in 'Art' started by Aquitaine, Nov 20, 2023.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

and have a couple of questions about it and what I think may be happening to it and what to do about it!! Bought in on Cape Cod back then....$175.00 for the hat and $32.00 for the stand. The artist is a JoHannes Michelsen, he has a couple of YouTube videos up.......(he also does or did...don't know which...but makes People size WOOD HATS!!!) But that's not my issue.....my Top Hat is made from Black Cherry Burl....I don't handle it much and it's never been in the sun....kept in a darkish corner cupboard. I just love it and the work in it!!! If you look at the pictures, "I think" it may be showing signs of "drying out"???? What's turned very light around some of the edges shows well in photos. Not having anything quite like it before, I'm not sure if that's normal or WHAT to DO about it!!! So, any help with suggestions from woodworkers on here would be most helpful to me....is there something I can treat it with??? "Skidmores Restoration Creme" or Bee's Wax for Antiques??? My other question is, there is one SOLD on WORTHPOINT, which I don't have an account with....if a generous member would look and let me know I'd be most grateful!!! The measurements are:
    4" Tall, 5 3/4" Front rim to Back Rim, and 4 3/4" width. The link to the SOLD one: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/unique-turned-wood-hat-sculpture-1842835587
    Thank you SO MUCH....your help is ALWAYS MUCH APPRECIATED!!

IMG_1788-1.jpg

IMG_1781-2.jpg

IMG_1780-3.jpg

IMG_1783-4.jpg

IMG_1784-5.jpg

Boland, NewEngland, Bakersgma and 9 others like this.
  2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

That is a lovely piece of wood work!
    You could try to get help from JoHannes Michelsen...

3. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

$65.00 (2016)

Aquitaine, NewEngland, judy and 7 others like this.
  4. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Agreed with both comments from @wlwhittier ! A very pleasant piece of work and a unique idea.

Aquitaine, judy and Bronwen like this.
  5. Aquitaine

@Kronos, Thank you, VERY much!!!!

6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I would use a wood finishing oil like tung oil on it or you could use something like teak oil finish, which has some varnish in it. A little paste wax once the oil has absorbed certainly wouldn't hurt.

Aquitaine likes this.
  8. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Any burl is very difficult to carve - it's the hardest, most fragile part of a tree.

Aquitaine likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

2manybooks likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

Thank you, I figured there must be something, just wasn't sure which to choose....to be safe, am contacting the carver today!

mirana and 2manybooks like this.
  11. Aquitaine

EDIT:
    Just emailed, and now hopefully, awaiting return contact!!!!!

mirana likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted