Hungarian folk art

Discussion in 'Art' started by gaetano, Sep 30, 2019.

1. gaetano

gaetano New Member

Hi everyone, this is a tough one. i am looking for more informations about this naif painting. it is on some sort of cloth or silk material, tehn attached to a cardboard support. On the left the date 1948 on the right the name Coopo(?) Budapest...It was donated to my father about 30 years ago from a collector...maybe some friend from Hungary or some collector has seen something similar?
    txs

Attached Files:

• boh.JPG
      boh.JPG
      File size:
      453.8 KB
      Views:
    • boh2.JPG
      boh2.JPG
      File size:
      438.2 KB
      Views:
    scoutshouse likes this.
  2. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Could you take another pic of the sig and try to get it straight on?

I'm not convinced that the second word is "Budapest".

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

(though I grant the subject seems very appropriate to have "Budapest" be the second word. :joyful: )

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Is it very fragile? It looks like it is. It looks like it was done with tempra paints?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. gaetano

gaetano New Member

I'm quite sure it's Budapest, while the name or pseudonym could be Coopò or Coapò...yes it's very fragile and tempra is my guess too

Attached Files:

6. gaetano

gaetano New Member

The thing is that whoever did it, it does not seem a simple amateur to me...i think the subject is a sort of wedding or ritual dance at the sunset

7. gaetano

gaetano New Member

I have some news...it cant' be tempera because it's on fabric....no pastels for the same reason....he probably used dyes and then finished with some other technique..Do someone knows about painting techinques?

8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

9. antidiem

It actually could be tempra on fabric - it looks fragile enough, but I agree it's not pastels. But if it's not tempra paint, it's most likely to be acrylic.

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. gaetano

gaetano New Member

Yes...i thought about acrylic...but in 1948 in a naif painting is it possile?

11. antidiem

It LOOKS like tempra paint, but if the fabric is not mounted, I think it would have been chipping off when the frame was removed? The mat boards make me think you just unframed this piece? So yeah. I still think tempra. Not all tempra paint is chippy, although all I encountered through the 1960s was. Some I used in the 1970s was not chippy at all. I used it successfully on newsprint.

I don't know what country this piece is from, so I cannot guess what paint the artist had access to.

Draft saved Draft deleted