Hummel Experts, Please

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by dude, Oct 7, 2020.

1. dude

dude Well-Known Member

These appear to be authentic. Anyone know what they are worth? Prices seem to be all over the place on the net. IMG_20201007_205348.jpg IMG_20201007_205420.jpg IMG_20201007_205436.jpg IMG_20201007_205513.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

If you have found them on the net, you probably know that the little boy is Merry Wanderer and the girl is Sister. The one mark that you do show is the "Full Bee" mark, in use from 1950 -59. The price variances that you see may relate to the size of the figure as well as when it was produced. There are probably Hummel sites on the internet depicting the various marks to give you an idea of the time frame the other figure was produced.

Lucille.b, Figtree3, judy and 3 others like this.
  3. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Here is the other base. IMG_20201007_205456.jpg

judy likes this.
  4. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

This second base would be the Baby Bee 1958 or the Vee Bee 1959. The Baby Bee's wings have rounded edges (which yours appears to have), whereas the Vee Bee has straight edge wings. Very subtle differences.

5. dude

dude Well-Known Member

You know your Hummels. Thanks!

judy and Sandra like this.
  6. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

:bookworm: Nah, I've just got a good book.;)

Lucille.b, dude and judy like this.
  7. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Hummel's were popularized by returning servicemen bringing them home from Germany after WWII. Prices are considerably down due to Goebel flooding the market past saturation with them in later decades of production. Also their base of collectors is going down considerably as the greatest generation passes on.

Age of the figurine is a key factor in determining value and the condition needs to be there too. Can't count the number of damaged figurines I've seen at auction over the years. A few months back I posted on here that I say a lot of 32 Hummel figurines sell for $60 at an estate auction and most of those were in great condition and still had their boxes. They were the more modern figurines but that was one heck of a deal compared to the mid-2000s when individual figurines regularly topped $100 each.

There used to be an auctioneer here in Ohio that had giant Hummel auctions a few times a year. Kramer & Kramer was their name.

I am by no means well versed in them -- I just watch when the come up at auction. Good luck with your finds!

dude, Figtree3, Sandra and 1 other person like this.
  8. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the feedback/ info.

Sandra likes this.
  9. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

My MIL had a slew of Hummels and asked me to sell them for her, most were from the mid to late 1950s. All but one of them sold for around $25 for small ones to $35-$40 for larger ones. The only one that sold for decent money was a medium size one that had closed eyes where as the bulk of that model had open eyes. I would have to search my archives to find what it sold for but it must have been around $250 or so.

So, research your pieces but don't expect to break the bank :sorry:

judy, Sandra and dude like this.
  10. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Curious where you sold them, and how long ago?

judy and dude like this.
  11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

It was maybe 4 years ago, I sold some on eBay and some at my local flea.

dude likes this.
  12. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I sold 10 or 12 Hummels for lots of money back in the 1980s. Of course they were considered very rare since the apron of one was green instead of orange. Most of what I had sold were different colors. A few people were shocked at what I was getting as was I. It was after some research that I was to find out why.
    greg

dude likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted