Humble Stand

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by KikoBlueEyes, Sep 4, 2018.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I found this stand at a garage sale years ago. What appealed to be was that it was handmade. I could imagine someone after a hard days work turning the legs on a lathe to make his family a small stand. It is very light and mars easily, so I know it is a soft wood. It was once stained and varnished because you can see it on the underside. Any thoughts about it's place in time?

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think its a mass produced 1920s occasional table,probably pine.But I could be wrong!

3. KikoBlueEyes

Hmmm. That is interesting. I always figured that it was handmade because it was irregular I love learning new stuff.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Agrees with @johnnycb09 , 20th century, there are 4 or 5 boards joined together to make up the top suggesting not very old.

judy, KikoBlueEyes and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Agree with Johnny.

They were made in several shapes and sizes. I have a round 3 tier with the same legs.

James Conrad and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

cluttered. Thank you.

James Conrad likes this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

James. Thank you very much as usual. Several boards glued together. I love that information

judy and James Conrad like this.
  8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have to say that I agree. I have a small rectangular one.
    greg

KikoBlueEyes and James Conrad like this.
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Might not place it as early as the 20s but suppose it could be. Was thinking more the 40s-50s when the colonial revival decorating trend hit. Definitely pine.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

Verybrad. Then it will meet the fate of my other fakes - donate. I'm so glad you guys are here and willing to help me Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. James Conrad

I don't think it's a fake, it's just not antique is all. I doubt this was marketed when new as an old piece.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

James. I never thought of these things in that way. Thank you for this perspective. My ignorance of how to assess these things should not imply a nefarious motive. I was sold a mid fifties Chippendale reproduction as a Victorian age one and that has always stung. Kiko

James Conrad likes this.
  13. clutteredcloset49

It's a very functional table for small apartments.
    If you don't want it, put it out at your next garage sale, you should be able to get 10-20 for it. I'd have it priced 35-40 in my shop. People are always looking for this size.

KikoBlueEyes and James Conrad like this.
  14. James Conrad

Very good point, I would add that just because something is old doesn't mean it's valuable or desirable. They made junk in the 18th & 19th century just like we do today.
    Try buying a Sam Maloof or George Nakashima piece of modern furniture, get out your pocketbook!

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

Cluttered. I'll give that a try. Right now it serves a function, though it is an inch too large for the space. It was on its way somewhere, either in the find another place and use for it or donate. I suppose someone would like it, so I'm planning a sale in October and I'll see if I can rehome it. Thanks

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  16. KikoBlueEyes

James. I see what you mean - they make some glorious furniture. I have some cheaply made older pieces like a 1920's laywer's bookcase that I want to upgrade and some things like my mahogany four poster spool bed and matching dresser from 1912 that isn't anything special but speaks to me and will stay. You and everyone on this site have been so helpful because some things I want to change out for better quality older pieces and I haven't had to tools to do this. My last purchase at an antique shop of a inlaid side table turned out upon further inspection to have a label with a zip code. I spent money thinking it was an antique and got a cheap reproduction. I hope you don't mind educating me.

James Conrad likes this.
  17. clutteredcloset49

Before you junk the bookcase do some homework. It may be wobbly, but if the glass and wood are good, there may be some money there.

When ready start a new thread with pictures, include any labels.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  18. KikoBlueEyes

cluttered. Okay, but its chocked full of my collection of rocks, so you'll have to overlook those.

19. clutteredcloset49

Good! We like rocks:)

James Conrad and KikoBlueEyes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted