Featured Huge wedgwood jug

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Chinoiserie, Feb 15, 2024.

1. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Bought this today because it's huge, well decorated and has a lozenge on the base, so some age. Sadly it is quite badly cracked. Its 25cm tall. When I got home I realised that it has a Wedgwood mark on it. It is accompanied by two symbols which maybe an asterisk and an O

IMG_20240215_175706_copy_1108x1478.jpg IMG_20240215_175653_copy_1110x1480.jpg IMG20240215175606_copy_1266x1688.jpg IMG20240215182417_copy_1368x1824.jpg IMG20240215182439_copy_1253x1671.jpg

2. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Nice, quite unusual

do like that thick handle and shape

is it a glaze crack or all the way through ?

reckon will photograph well

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  3. charlie cheswick

wasnt there 2 different wedgwoods ?

Ghopper1924 and Chinoiserie like this.
  4. Chinoiserie

Yes. One was barlaston and Etruria. Not sure about the other..this one looks like it is the same that did the jasperware as it is the same style writing. There are several cracks all the way through. :arghh:

Ghopper1924 and charlie cheswick like this.
  5. charlie cheswick

still a nice old piece though for a collector ;)

6. Chinoiserie

Yes it's like nothing I've seen before or can find on the web so far. Would be nice to find similar for reference though. Challenge is to get it to a buyer without it collapsing under its own weight. I've flooded the cracks with super glue to add strength and wiped off the excess. Not sure if that's advisable but it's stopped rattling now.

7. charlie cheswick

blimey ive never had one that rattles before :)

im becoming quite good at hiding problems, hard on off white porcelain though

as long as you mention problem areas, doesnt seem to put people off that much

it is a super shape

8. Chinoiserie

I like the way it breaks from the rounded base into to geometric hexagonal neck. Quite different. The decor isn't typical of wedgwood either. A bit more exotic. Yes I try and list every wart in the description. I've had a few chancers trying it on buying stuff that they know is damaged from the photos but isn't referenced in the written description. They know that it's not worth you paying for the item to get returned to you so will tell them to keep it.

9. charlie cheswick

yeah i had a real horrible bast**d recently with an antique victorian silver grouse claw.
    he only paid £20 even though theres examples selling for £75
    because the silver mount wasnt marked, he threatened to report me for fraud, and called me every name under the sun and said he would give appropriate feedback
    strangely he was happy to accept the item with a £15 partial refund

boy i was biting my lip the whole way through, but what do you do

10. charlie cheswick

11. Chinoiserie

Oh I remember you posting that a while back. Id have just asked him to return it for a refund since he got such a large discount. I think some items are wasted on eBay and I keep telling myself that I am going to start diversifying the platforms I sell on. Things seem to go for a lot more on vinterior for example.

12. Chinoiserie

PS innaccurate descriptions aren't fraud as long as you haven't tried to intentionally deceive. Tricky with silver though. Got to call it white metal. From the photos most will take that as being silver and treat it as such.

13. charlie cheswick

yeah it tested as silver, but could tell by his feedback that he was playing the balls in my court game

hes only one in 2000 though, still think ebays the best platform

J Dagger, Ghopper1924 and Chinoiserie like this.
  14. Chinoiserie

I've had a few run ins ha ha. Went through a spate of people demanding teacups and wedgwood plates like yesterday. Don't care how, I want it now. I was like sorry I have sent your cup and Yiu will receive it when RM deliver it. How much can someone need a tea cup though. Children. And the woman who left neg feedback back because I cancelled the order. Even though she'd asked me to cancel it because she thought they were dinner plates and they were actually bowls. I have had to cancel a few orders and just block the customer because they were just crazy.

J Dagger likes this.
  15. Poppies

Poppies Member

16. Chinoiserie

17. Poppies

Poppies Member

Thank you! :)I just found it when looked for your piece.

18. Chinoiserie

Your Google must be better than mine. Nothing seemed to come up for me :banghead:

Ghopper1924 and Poppies like this.
  19. Poppies

Poppies Member

20. Chinoiserie

I've not had much exposure to his work. I found a nursery rhyme egg cup with a metal frame by him once. Thanks for the link. I'll have a look.

Draft saved Draft deleted