Huge Sanctuary Lamp, how to get rid of the green stuff?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by opoe, Aug 28, 2017.

1. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

My uncle in Belgium had a large yard, in that yard was a Rolls Royce and Jaguar cemetary, behind that a large shed with more car wrecks and an oehoe(largest european owl) supposedly nesting there, thread carefully they can get violent when disturbed. I did not see the oehoe but I found this large sanctuary lamp (from about 1880, france) buried among thousands of car parts. barely recognizable, dirty and home to a spider,sorry spider, I picked the heavy thing up and took it home. I tried to clean it up, at first it seemed to work but then the green stuff reappeared, copper-oxide...it just keeps coming back. I do not know if this thing is brass or bronze and maybe guilded in some parts, what can I do make it shine a little more and less green? 2017-07-23 22.03.56.jpg 2017-07-23 22.04.12.jpg after the first clean up, and then a couple of days later it looked like this: IMG_20170806_085258.jpg IMG_20170806_085340.jpg it does not have to shine like this one, similar one i found online(now I also know how it must have looked and that the bottom part is missing): 631273_detail5_thumb.jpg
    But now it can stand at least, because I need someone to help me hang it first, here it is standing on top of my repro empire secretaire(I wish that one were real) 2014-07-05 22.46.31.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    Ghopper1924 and kyratango like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd give it a wipe down with white vinegar, the cheap stuff, and see what that does. The acids take the greenies off. If it were jewelry and in the US I'd coat it with tomato ketchup; it sticks to the metal and does the same job without immersing the object. (Not sure I'd want to dunk this.)

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  3. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

I do not have a bathtub big enough to immerse it in, in fact I do not even have a bathtub, only a shower...;)
    Vinegar did not do the job, the green dissapeared shortly but then returned, gonna try ketchup next on some parts.