Featured Huge porcelain figure

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KSW, May 8, 2023.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

There is a house clearance company that is always besieged by buyers at car boot sales, the buyers fight over everything that comes out if the back of the truck…..except for this….so I presume it’s trash as it was totally ignored and no one wanted it. I almost never buy stuff like this as it’s definitely not my thing but for £5 it has come home :rolleyes: Some fingers missing and a chip to the base.
    It’s huge, around 15” tall with no markings at all that I can see. I haven’t had time to wash it yet and it’s filthy (yes, I know, sorry, been flat out with children :oops:) but wonder if any ideas of it’s age or maker please. Google lens gives me 100s of different figures!.
    Thanks for any advice.
    IMG_9401.jpeg IMG_9389.jpeg IMG_9400.jpeg IMG_9399.jpeg IMG_9396.jpeg IMG_9390.jpeg IMG_9389.jpeg IMG_9394.jpeg IMG_9392.jpeg IMG_9388.jpeg

2. Stephenlr

Stephenlr New Member

Late 19th century bisque it looks to me. Great deal.

3. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

Isn't he gorgeous!

Is he 'snuffing?"

kyratango likes this.
  4. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Nah...2-finger nostril harvesting.

5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Glad you like him and I’m not entirely mad to have brought it home :D
    Looks like he should be holding a flower!

Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Might be mid 19th even. I suspect he’s German or Austrian, doing Italian renaissance.

Stick him in the shower!

Figtree3, kentworld and KSW like this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Fab, thankyou, I really thought you would all say he was a modern reproduction! That’s a good idea on the shower as I don’t want to bump him on the sink taps.
    Thankyou :)

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Just found this but theirs is much more quality and slightly different with the other leg being forwards, holding an hat and a different shape base.
    IMG_6994.jpeg

Figtree3, kyratango and Brian Warshaw like this.
  9. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

@KSW This might e the same as the one you found But a bit of information goes with this:
    Pair of painted biscuit porcelain statues, marked Vion et Baury , Paris 19th century
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In excellent condition ! Lovely pair of fine quality painted biscuit porcelain figures. With highlights in gold. Manufactured by the Parisian factory Vion et Baury, marked underneath VB. Also exhibited at the Vienna World Exhibition in 1873. Size (Lady): H 56, W16, D21 cm Gentleman: H57,5 W16, D22 cm
    https://www.daelmans.be/galleries/p...et-baury-paris-19th-century-540222-en-max.jpg

Figtree3, KSW and kyratango like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

That’s gonna want a litre of Fairy.

KSW and silverbell like this.
  11. silverbell

It aPears so!

KSW likes this.
  12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

God knows where it has been poor thing!

13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

:hilarious:

14. silverbell

(Not bad for an American. Chuckle, chuckle.)

Figtree3 and KSW like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

It’s got a fine patina of old nicotine, I reckon.

Figtree3, KSW and kentworld like this.
  16. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I'm leaning towards late 19th c. Usually these things are German/Austrian as OBB said, but I'm not sure with the painting of the base part of this one. I'm going "hmmm" because I dunno.

Figtree3 and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted