Featured Huge cloisonne bowl

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by johnnycb09, Apr 13, 2017.

1. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Hi all. I normally dont do a lot of cloisonne,but this thing just appealed tome.Its 10 1/2 inches wide,3 1/2 high,and while I can find a lot of examples that are this large,I cant get a grasp of the date.They are all over the map on age and values! Any input is always appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

3. johnnycb09

Arent they ? It matches my living room rug wonderfully ! :)

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Love it!
    Chinese, I would say no older than 70s.
    Just let me know if you want me to bore you with some info on the symbolism.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Johnny,
    Really nice bowl!!!!!
    greg

6. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

please bore me !

7. Any Jewelry

All right, you asked for it;).
    The flowers are chrysanthemums, the symbol of autumn. Because they bloom later than other flowers, at a time when it is getting colder, they stand for steadfast people who remain strong in times of adversity. Because of their strength they are also one of the many symbols of longevity.
    The butterfly is also a symbol of longevity, and of joy.
    Those little swirls all over the bowl are clouds, they represent the heavens and good luck. The Chinese words for cloud and luck sound the same.
    The elegant white and blue shapes around the edge are lingzhi mushrooms. Lingzhi is a mushroom that doesn't decay as quickly as other mushrooms, it grows woody and has a long life. So another symbol of longevity. The lingzhi has a cloudshape, a heavenly connection, which means longevity is even extended to immortality.
    The blue base colour again represents the heavens. Most larger cloisonné objects have a blue base colour, and heavenly connections are ever-present in Chinese art. One of the reasons why I like it.
    So Johnny, a lot of longevity, joy and luck for you, and strength in adversity.

8. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for the enlightenment!

Christmasjoy, lloyd249, judy and 2 others like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Johnny, it's a wonderful bowl!!!! AJ, I just sit here in AWE, EVERY time you speak!!!!!!!:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

10. johnnycb09

Always so generous with knowledge,THANK YOU ! I have a whole new appreciation for it.One of the best parts? It was $4.99 at 75% off! I jumped on it with both feet :)

11. Any Jewelry

Looking for a blushing emoji, but this one also applies: :kiss:.

12. Any Jewelry

Lucky you! I would have too.
    That's the nice thing of knowing more about things, they come to life a bit.

Christmasjoy, johnnycb09 and lloyd249 like this.
  13. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I do too!

Christmasjoy and lloyd249 like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Oh Judy... Can anyone show me that blushing emoji? I'm sure it's there somewhere:confused:.

Christmasjoy and lloyd249 like this.
  15. judy

judy Well-Known Member

AJ......I would choose this one.....:shame:..... but there is absolutely no reason for you to feel shamefully embarrassed........

To be embarrassed at all shows how humble you are. You are a PLUS all the way!

:cat:

16. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

Agree, modern replica.
    This is what we called Semi-mortar cloisonne. :cigar:

Christmasjoy, Lucille.b and cxgirl like this.
  17. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

And so glad bobsyouruncle did.
    Thank you.
    Copied and filed for later use. Hope you don't mind.

BTW - How close are the symbolisms between Chinese and Japanese? Doesn't Japanese cloisonne also use those little clouds as well as the mushrooms?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Like the cigar:D.
    Semi-mortar cloisonné, is that the technique? I know minerals etc. used to be ground in a mortar, is that what it refers to?

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  19. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy likes this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Don't mind at all, this site is about sharing knowledge.

The Chinese and Japanese are neighbours, and with neighbours there is always influence. That goes for all countries surrounding China, and sometimes it is difficult to say where a certain design originated.
    For instance, I have been doing some low-level research into Asian dragon symbolism. It turns out there are very different origins in very different locations, that 'drifted' towards one another through trade and pilgrimage contacts. There are still regional differences, thankfully, we wouldn't want there to be a stylistic law.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted