Huge 1990's Mexican mirror - stamped?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Lucille.b, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I have a friend who is trying to downsize, this was purchased in Mexico in the 1990's and shipped here. HUGE, heavy piece 55" tall, signed by artist, may be one of a kind. Anyway, my friend knows I do a lot of Craigslist, etc. and so I'm volunteering to try to help her and sell this.

Posted in 3 spots on CL, also Nextdoor, no inquiries whatsoever. Any suggestions? I've been calling this "metal" --are there keywords I'm missing? Nothing by this artist I could find, its a pretty nice piece, edges are curved, that is covered with the metal, too.

I'm sure part of the problem is the sheer size. Pug shown for scale. Suggestions/observations much appreciated.

mirror2.jpg mirror4.jpg mirror5.jpg mirror7.jpg mirror6a.jpg mirror6b.jpg

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    kyratango and Ghopper1924 like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Even the pug isn't interested.:( The scale could be a problem.
    Handmade repoussé marine theme etc. artist signed?

Lucille.b likes this.
  3. Lucille.b

Yes, maybe we should have tried for a shot with an interested Pug, lol! ....:rolleyes:

It was purchased in Mexico, shipped here in a crate in 1996 -- must have cost a fortune to ship. It is heavy plus fragile.

It actually has a great look in person, but you'd need just the right spot. Thanks for the keywords AJ.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Maybe add an ambiance photograph, on a white wall over a hall table with a potted fern or Mexican pottery.

kyratango and Lucille.b like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

6. Lucille.b

Great idea, and thanks for the link! :)

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's the kind of thing an interior designer would be looking for when decorating a Colonial Spanish-inspired McMansion. Why don't you put it up on eBay and raise the price substantially? Nothing to lose. Winner pays shipping and -- for a commercial customer -- not that big a deal.

Debora

Figtree3, Ghopper1924 and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. JBS Antiquer

JBS Antiquer New Member

We have four of these mirrors — three in the fish motif, one roses — including this larger version. Can’t find anything about them. Anybody have any information of know anyone who’s be interested? Looking to sell during downsizing.

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

A - Offers to buy, sell or trade by individuals and/or dealers are not permitted in any way, shape or form in threads and/or posts. If you wish to make such an offer, contact the other party by Private Message or email.

kyratango likes this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Why don't you post photographs so we can take a look? Perhaps we can provide some information as to what you have.

Debora

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. JBS Antiquer

JBS Antiquer New Member

Mirror.jpg Artists Mark.jpg
    Thanks Deborah. I tried with the initial post but they didn't come through.

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

So yes, the same maker. There doesn't appear to be any information about David Llamas on the internet. But there is a Llamas "dynasty" of tin makers in San Miguel Allende according to this mention in the 1998 issue of Arts of Mexico and he may well be a member.

Debora

Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 12.14.02 PM.png

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yes, contact him.....maybe he'll buy them...unless he's downsizing as well ,,,,,,,,,

14. JBS Antiquer

JBS Antiquer New Member

Thanks for the info Debora. Greatly appreciated!!!