How to tell if silver is real

Discussion in 'Silver' started by JayBee, Sep 2, 2020.

1. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

Aquitaine likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

If Mr N8 bought it......9 times out of 10 ....it's real !!!

Marko, NewEngland and sabre123 like this.
  3. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Confusing thermal and electrical conductivity in the first method they mention doesn't give me confidence.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The ice cube method does work but only to the extent that the speed of melting is faster with a solid silver item than with a silver plated item (the silver in the plating will cause the melting but at a slower rate.) And it certainly cannot tell you whether the alloy is sterling or a lower grade.

5. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

The author of this piece specializes in coins, so his advice on testing for knock off coin fakes is pretty fair.

I wish an article like this wasn't so basic in the explanation, because an uninformed reader is now equipped to deal a damaging financial blow to themselves if they aren't careful. I can't tell you how many times I've read on a sellers post "it doesn't react to magnets so it must be real silver"...

My view:

1. If you are doing this more than occasionally, "invest" in a silver test kit for around $10 and watch a youtube video on how to test properly.

2. If you don't want to damage a piece, ice cube test will rule out some base metals, but certainly not all of them.

3. Ring ring ping test sounds like absolute garbage just to me. I have read it in other posts and I've tried to hear the difference between plated/sterling and I really can't hear any difference. More challenging is the idea that the items we find have different shapes, therefore different acoustic values.

Not a terrible article, but certainly not a wealth of info either.

6. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Dint read it. I have very poor hearing. I often score by sound.

Draft saved Draft deleted