Featured How to restore this stand

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Gatoblanconz, Jul 13, 2024.

1. Gatoblanconz

Gatoblanconz Well-Known Member

Not sure about age but this is definitely antique.
    It's been painted black but is worn. He said he had painted it with black spray paint but that must have been a while ago.
    I found some almost black paint and did the top (which had been incorrectly been used as the bottom, it was sold upside down and was bare but grey timber on the top).

I don't want to strip and sand this back to timber. I don't have the skills and technology to sand well.

I am open potentially to stripping and repainting.

But I'm thinking either touch it up or completely repaint.

What do people think about colour and gloss level of paint? (after cleaning it).
    Should I put a wax on top after painting it?
    c1_20240714_07550490.jpeg c1_20240714_07550474.jpeg c1_20240714_07550461.jpeg c1_20240714_07550438.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2024
    Any Jewelry, Boland, pewter2 and 4 others like this.
  2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

If your going to paint it then why strip it? I'd fix all the imperfections with body filler or wood putty, then scuff with steel wool. Use spray paints if you don't have a dedicated paint sprayer. I'd prime then spray your final color over the primer.

ulilwitch and Gatoblanconz like this.
  3. Gatoblanconz

Got it. Will sand out lightly after some filling.
    What colour should I spray it?
    How about painting with good quality brush?

ulilwitch likes this.
  4. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

What’s wrong with black? You definitely don’t want to strip this, would add at least ten years to your age and wood doesn’t look worth it. Doesn’t look antique to me, more like upscale mall furniture before the slow death of shopping malls.

Gatoblanconz likes this.
  5. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Is the bottom perhaps unpainted? Would be interesting to see that. Does it feel solid and has good weight?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I also think it should stay painted black (or other dark color). It might be nice to dab on silver or gold highlights to the medallions and trim.

Gatoblanconz and Rayo56 like this.
  7. Virginia

Virginia New Member

Agree with just repainting it. Stripping all those curves and nooks and cranny's would be a nightmare. I'd use spray paint, because again - nooks and crannies. Spraying will be easier than a brush. Dark - maybe a nice eggplanty color if you don't want black or brown.

Gatoblanconz, antidiem and Rayo56 like this.
  8. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

With KRYLON being so easy to use and fast drying, I'd forgo using a brush - unless using urethanes.

[​IMG]

9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

A blackish eggplant color would look fabulous.
    Am not convinced it's antique either.
    The black appears to have been spray painted at the bottom of one post.

LOL Rayo, I remember when Krylon was a 99c brand! :)

Gatoblanconz and Rayo56 like this.
  10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Could you please show the bottom of this? The top appears to be soft wood, or else badly chisel chipped. An antique would probably have been made of hard wood on its way to petrification lol. It has an Indonesian wood furniture vibe to it.

Gatoblanconz and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto.
    Indonesians can copy anything, but they use hardwood.

antidiem likes this.
  12. Virginia

Virginia New Member

Check out Rust-Oleum spray paints too. I'm not an expert, but lately I've been using Rust-Oleum paints, and I like them better. The Rust-Oleum 2X line specifically. Lots of great colors, too (including eggplant) :)

Gatoblanconz likes this.
  13. alynnfin

alynnfin Well-Known Member

I just noticed the small statue of a white bust on a stand on the table next to it. Nice connection between the two.

Gatoblanconz and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Gatoblanconz

I think it's too old to be upscale mall furniture.
    But I could be wrong...

15. Gatoblanconz

Thanks for noticing I kind of was trying to be a little bit artistic about that by including it. That's a paran bust of Queen Victoria for the Diamond Jubilee made in Germany. it actually has the date on it. And the maker and it also says 'original in possession of the Queen' that's referring to a marble bust of the queen done for the Diamond Jubilee

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. Gatoblanconz

The bottom which was actually the top (or where I that Parian bust), because he had it upside down was unpainted and it was in grey condition and the wood didn't look very nice. I then painted that with some near-black colour paint that I had until I worked out what I was going to do with it.

I am starting to wonder whether it could be Indonesian or something rather than european.... But see my post below about South American origin.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2024
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. Gatoblanconz

Here are some more photos including with some of the edging removed because that actually needs gluing back. So you can see the timber.
    Some of the set of photos have the loose cornicing in place and some of them have it removed. The fact that there is no nails and that it seem to come off so easily also casts suspicion about it being antique.

The story I got from the vendor who was South American said that it was his grandmothers and he believes it is 70 years old. To me it felt older, but then what do I know? So it's possibly South American made rather than Indonesian.

In terms of weight it feels like how it should feel like. It doesn't feel particularly light but it doesn't feel heavy either. But even if it was made of hardwood there isn't much to this thing. It doesn't have a central column so it's not going to weigh much anyway. It's not a big piece it's only about a meter high and the bottom base would be about 26 centimeters square.

I paid $40 Australian (30usd) so I can't really be complaining because I'm not quite sure what else I could get with those aesthetics for 40 bucks. He actually didn't want to sell it to me because he ended up getting dozens of messages about it off Facebook marketplace (I saw his phone) so he felt he had sold it too cheap. But because I spoke Spanish with him he was kind of cool about it. I'm even going back several weeks later to pick up one more piece of that cornicing which he had dropped in a hole.

Agree about the spray painting after cleaning sanding and filling. Will be easiest.

@Any Jewelry @antidiem @Boland @Jeff Drum
    c1_20240716_08290374.jpeg c1_20240716_08290472.jpeg c1_20240716_08290456.jpeg c1_20240716_08290442.jpeg c1_20240716_08290424.jpeg c1_20240716_08290410.jpeg c1_20240716_08290395.jpeg c1_20240716_08290508.jpeg c1_20240716_08290490.jpeg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. Gatoblanconz

Do you think I should get a gloss spray paint or a matt one?

ola402 likes this.
  19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

semi gloss

Gatoblanconz likes this.
  20. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

personally. I like matte, but semi gloss is nice too. Eggshell is my favorite but not available in spray paint.

Gatoblanconz likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted