Featured How to remove old masking tape! Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Sdcookie2, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

Hiya all my recent purchase of old hand painted antique fans, these were framed but the frames were trash, successfully unmounted from the boards but here is what I am left with, this is how they originally mounted for framing. Any tips or tricks? Should I send them to a professional?
    Hand painted either on ivory or bone can't really tell. My concern it pulling the original paint off the fans. Any help much appreciated.
    Thanks Kim PXL_20210127_225152920_copy_600x1067~2.jpg PXL_20210127_225209130_copy_600x1067~2.jpg

judy, kyratango, ritzyvintage and 5 others like this.
  2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

What the heck is wrong with people???

I've had some luck using UN-DU to get stickers and tape off of my ephemera. I don't know if it would work on your fans but you could try a bit.

judy, TraceyB, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They're beautiful. But what a knucklehead thing for someone to do. If they were mine, I'd leave tape removal to a professional restorer. They look to have some value. (Hot air balloon!)

Debora

4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@Any Jewelry - She would love to see these fans & maybe she has some tricks to use on the tape.

A couple of years ago I sent her this fan which someone had glue down to the backboard. :facepalm::facepalm::banghead::banghead::banghead::arghh::arghh::arghh:

I don't know if she has ever had a chance to work on it.

[​IMG]

judy, kyratango, ritzyvintage and 4 others like this.
  5. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Masking tape is mostly just paper and glue.

I'd suggest hot water (applied with a damp cloth, for example) to soften the paper, which could then be peeled off gently with a sharp knife and rolled back. The excess glue could then be removed with an appropriate cleaning agent. Water is unlikely to harm the bone or ivory.

judy and TraceyB like this.
  6. India Street Antiques

India Street Antiques India Street Antiques - European Antique Furniture

Lighter fluid will remove the sticky from tape and stickers for easy lifting from paper and other materials and it evaporates. I use it a lot on books and paper items to remove tape and price stickers.

7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

If the masking tape hasn't crystallized (yet) and it still remains tacky, you can remove it by flooding it with benzine (lighter fluid) repeatedly and carefully lifting it away.
    If there is any residue left (there will be) you can swab it away with a q-tip soaked in benzine.

TraceyB, reader, cxgirl and 1 other person like this.
  8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Snap! Great minds etc. I use it all the time too, works great on price stickers on leather as well!

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

TraceyB likes this.
  10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I have some Bestine, it's ok but not what I would use on paper - benzine is better as it leaves no residue, Bestine is a tiny bit oily.

TraceyB likes this.
  11. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

would it damage the hand painted part?

12. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

It damages nothing and leaves no stain, evaporates completely.

TraceyB and cxgirl like this.
  13. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I just took some old masking tape off an old graphic paper/light cardboard Christmas ornament box today, with great results.

I applied Goo Gone (liquid, not the spray gel) to the tape, waited a couple hours, and carefully worked the tape off. The residue sticky stuff left on the box came off easily using a little Goo Gone on a piece of terry cloth toweling. You'd never know the box had been all taped up!

I've never used lighter fluid to remove masking tape, but I know it works wonders for removing hot glue from clothing!

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

15. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

GooGone (hate the smell), lighter fluid (butane or naptha), nailpolish remover (acetone), distilled water, and/or cautious use of a hair-dryer all have their uses for removing various kinds of tape (Scotch tape, masking tape, brown paper tape, duct tape, &c' &c') from various materials (paper, wood, celluloid, bakelite, &c' &c') but can damage others. The combination of bone/ivory and paper makes for a tricky situation. Always test a tiny area in a more obscure section of the item, of course, using a Q-Tip or toothpick, before proceeding to remove large amounts of tape from more obvious sections.

16. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

17. TraceyB

TraceyB Well-Known Member

I always use eucalyptus oil for this type of thing. It's a natural product but highly effective :happy:

18. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

for cooking ?:hilarious:

TraceyB likes this.
  19. TraceyB

TraceyB Well-Known Member

No! :sour: I put it in my mop bucket. It has a very fresh fragrance. Also great for removing stuck on gum :happy:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    Fid likes this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Stunning fans @Sdcookie2 , very good quality, both look 18th century.:)
    Agree, it is a Montgolfière fan, a collector's piece. Looks like that one is wood with Vernis Martin.
    Caution! I don't know how Vernis Martin will react to lighter fluid etc.
    Montgolfière fans were made in several countries, and often bought as a souvenir of a balloon ride. There are quite a few Grand Tour Montgolfières, with scenes from Italy for instance.
    I have, but it is not completely done. They also stuck quite a few painted blades together.:inpain::bigtears: So it is actually wider than in the photo you posted.
    The only delay is that I keep forgetting to order lighter fluid.:shame: Off to do that now.

Draft saved Draft deleted