Featured How to get the smell of cigarette smoke out of a stone (also- what is this stone!!)

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Kimbert, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Kimbert

Kimbert Well-Known Member

hello everybody!
    So whomever this belonged to before must have been a smoker because the stone on this smells very strongly and unmistakably of cigarette smoke! I am desperate for any tricks anyone might have to remove the smell! I would try vinegar or just washing it or whatever but because I don't know what this stone is, I don't want to submerge it in water or put anything on it since it must be quite porous to have picked up the smell so strongly!
    stonependant.JPG

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

try putting it in a ziploc with some baking soda for a couple of days

3. Kimbert

that's quite a good idea! I will try it!

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Or Fuller's Earth cat litter.

Kimbert and i need help like this.
  5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    It has been a long time since I suggested an Ozone machine. I have been using one for many years. Last year my old one finally died. I see several on ebay for less than a 100 dollars. Small items may take less than a hour. A car may take a day. I started using them after a church fire. Thousands of articles of clothing and books were saved by the machines. I have used all of the household tips but none work as fast as Ozone. You must be careful of the way you pack the machine it works best outside.
    greg

Kimbert, i need help and antidiem like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks like a kind of jasper and I agree, no soaking in water. Just a wash between your hands and rinse and good dry will be fine though.
    I have had great results with baking soda as well.

It is Mexican, of course, your jewellery love. Any interesting marks?:)
    Here you can only get the huge professional ones for an equally huge amount.
    I don't know if Kimbert would invest less than a $100 for a a piece of jewellery that cost her less than that. Baking soda or Fuller's Earth cat litter would be much cheaper.;)

7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Kimbert and i need help like this.
  8. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I’m a believer in charcoal cat littler. Dog person here but have removed awful stench from a million things with litter!

Kimbert, i need help and antidiem like this.
  9. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

I have had some stones that had odors that I couldn't get out. Finally figured they must be natural to the stone.

Kimbert and janettekay like this.
  10. Kimbert

that sounds amazing, but yes probably to heavy duty for my needs!!

Yes, Mexican, of course which is indeed my jewelry love:D! the marking is MMC, I can post a pic in a sec! Thanks for the info re Jasper and not soaking!
    My first round of baking soda seems to have lessened the smell a bit, I will replace the baking soda a let it sit in that for a couple more days!

@antidiem thank you! It's a painting by Paul Cesar Helleu- I have long red hair like this and one time I cut my bangs so I could look specifically like this painting, and let me tell you it did not look good like it does on this lady:nailbiting::woot:
    I will have to try this next after baking soda!!
    This one I'm pretty sure is not the stone- It was from a "lot" and the whole box and tissue packaging stenched of it. All the other jewelry was silver, no stones and cleaned up just fine, ooof but not this stone!!

Any Jewelry, antidiem and Jivvy like this.
  11. Kimbert

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Kimbert

@antidiem haha I realize my avatar crops out the bangs I spoke of- this is the full painting- what a hair do!! :joyful:
    [​IMG]

Any Jewelry, Jivvy, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  13. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

A gorgeous painting, +red hair too long to long for! :smuggrin:
    Thanks for showing me, @Kimbert :cat:

Any Jewelry and Kimbert like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted