How to clean Leather (?) Top

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by DivasFinds, Sep 27, 2023.

1. DivasFinds

DivasFinds Well-Known Member

I bought this coffee table + end tables at an auction. Sadly, the top of them is marked up.... The tops appear to be leather? But I am not sure, that is how they feel to me. anyone have any tips on how to possibly clean the tops of these to get the white marks out? I posted these on another thread and I realize they are not MCM but are mid century.

When I picked up the tables I was able to speak to the homeowner Selling them, a gentleman who appeared to be at least in his 60s. Maybe 70 years old. They were his mother's and he can remember them being in her house when he was a child. Makes me think they are 1950's era? What do you all think? 20230926_135425_copy_1000x450.jpg 20230926_135420_copy_450x1000.jpg 20230926_135425_copy_1000x450.jpg 20230926_135420_copy_450x1000.jpg 20230926_135429_copy_1000x450.jpg 20230926_135414_copy_450x1000.jpg 20230926_135416_copy_450x1000.jpg

2. DivasFinds

Mid century, would, in fact mean 1950s....is what I'm trying to confirm.

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

No question that the're 50s. That blonde finish was in use mostly in the 50s and the legs are 50s too. As for getting the white marks out..dunno. Maybe some sort of leather cleaner, but I don't really know.

DivasFinds likes this.
  4. DivasFinds

Thanks for verifying that it is indeed a 1950s piece. Would you consider the style french provincial or ?? I google lens searched it and saw something similar w a "leather" top that sold in the $100-$150 range, top was in better shape.

Going to use some leather cleaner soap I have to try and improve on the aesthetics of the top. It's pretty mild so I don't figure it can hurt! Weird though how it's all marked up.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like something was placed there for a long time....and leaked

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree, 1950s.
    The way they are stained makes me think the tops are real leather. In that case a leather cleaner soap and some polish to feed the leather should help. If the stains are still visible, try some shoe polish in the right colour on the stains.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
    verybrad, silverbell and DivasFinds like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A good quality shoe polish like Meltonian.

Debora

DivasFinds likes this.
  8. DivasFinds

Yes....hopefully it wasn't grandma!

9. Matahari

Matahari Well-Known Member

I restored leather for several years, you need a very pigmented shoe polish

tuxan do one, and saphir ( not so good but 2nd best )
    , a good cobbler will have and it's not much more than ordinary polish

the important thing is many pigments
    if it doesn't work, you have got the wrong produce :)

NB : you can try and lessen the white stains (which would be calcium from wet saucers or similar ) by soaking a cloth in vineger an laying it damp on the stain for 1/2 hour or so ... won't remove all of it !

leather is reasonably water proof, you can even try gently rubbing 000 abrasif ( in a corner )

10. Matahari

Matahari Well-Known Member

DivasFinds and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

More or less "French Provincial". They always called the little girl bedroom sets French Provincial in the same color and with the little bit of gilding here and there. Not sure the shoe polishes mentioned are sold here in the USA, but there are leather repair products and leather dyes. Best to listen to the others about those though. I'm just guessing.

DivasFinds likes this.
  12. DivasFinds

Thank you for all the suggestions, it's on my list to work on this piece and I will try your suggestions....def cannot hurt at this point!!!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm sure you will be able to improve the condition of the tops, and enjoy the set for a long time.:)

14. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Curious...I use saddle soap for the leather top of my early 1960s desk, making sure that it is totally dry when I'm done. Is that recommended?

15. Sheikh Foyjul Islam

Sheikh Foyjul Islam New Member

• Dust leather furniture regularly with a soft, dry cloth. This will help to remove dirt and dust that can build up and scratch the leather.
    • Wipe down leather furniture with a damp cloth every few weeks. This will help to remove any spills or stains that may have occurred.
    • Condition leather furniture every few months with a good quality leather conditioner. This will help to keep the leather soft and supple.
    • Avoid placing leather furniture in direct sunlight or near heat sources. This can dry out the leather and cause it to crack.
    • Blot up spills immediately with a clean, dry cloth. This will help to prevent the spill from setting into the leather.
    Also, you can have more details in the below links. I hope these will help:

1. Product Care Tips | Elegant Interior
    2. https://wrinklefreedelivery.com/laundry/cleaning-and-conditioning-vintage-leather/

Draft saved Draft deleted