Featured How old is this rococo set?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lise, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Lise

Lise New Member

Hi guys! I got so much help in a previous post, and I hope you can help me again I got this lovely rococo set from my grandmother and I'm quite curious about how old it might be? I have 4 small chairs, 4 big chairs, 1 couch, dining table and a desk. I do think that the desk might be older than the dining set, but im not sure The feet is carved out like paws, pretty amazing I'll post some pictures so you can see for yourself, feel free to ask if you need some other photos of the furniture

Attached Files:

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Lovely stuff ! I adore the upholstery ! Just a guess,but Im thinking 1860's-70's or so .Wait for Brad to chime in,hes the furniture guru.

Ghopper1924, Christmasjoy and Lise like this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Nice pieces! I had the same chandelier in your last photo.
    greg

Ghopper1924, Christmasjoy and Lise like this.
  4. Lise

Lise New Member

Thanks guys My grandmother had it re upholstered for about 35 years ago so it's sadly not original, but it looks great! I think it used to be yellow I have been told it's from late 1800s, but I think the desk might be older? Hope Brad will give it a go

Ghopper1924 and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Beautiful !! VERY nice indeed .. Joy.

Ghopper1924 and Lise like this.
  6. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

Absolutely gorgeous set! My grandmother had some nice stuff but yours makes me jealous...:)
    Could you make a picture of just the desk, without the chair in front of it? It does give me an empire vibe.

Christmasjoy, Ghopper1924 and Lise like this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think we are circa 1870 on the parlor set. I am not real sure about the desk. Would like to see more pics. I am thinking from about the same time frame or just a bit earlier but in a different style. I am getting a bit of a French Louis Phillippe vibe from it but would not rule out it being American.

Christmasjoy and Lise like this.
  8. Lise

Lise New Member

Hi guys! Sorry for my late reply, we're renovating our house and everything is upside-down for the moment! Anyway here is a few photos of the desk

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy and SBSVC like this.
  9. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Lise, I would very happily find room for that desk - I think it's lovely!

10. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm thinking 1865-75 here. Could that desk be a vanity?

11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Now that I see the desk better, I don't think American. Haven't found anything quite like it but am still thinking French or, possibly, Italian.

12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The desk is what I would think of as Biedermeier.

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi Lise, I haven't looked yet but will....when posting your images, PLEASE, ALWAYS SELECT "FULL SIZE IMAGES FOR ALL"......Hopefully the tidbit below will help with that......that way we can see them all FULL SIZE at once!!! MANY THANKS!!!!:):)

zTutorialForIMAGES2.jpg

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Now THAT'S some brown wood I could get behind !!!!
    Love the foot rest !!!!!:happy::happy:

15. Lise

Lise New Member

Oh, sorry about that! Will do it next time:)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  16. Lise

Lise New Member

Thanks for all the response! :shame: Can't wait to put all the furniture back in the living room once its done, and best of all? They are super comfortable! They really did know how to make furniture back in the days:happy:

Anyone who would give it a go on how much they are worth? (No worries, they're never leaving my house;))

Christmasjoy likes this.
  17. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

Very beautiful pieces, well maintained.
    I wish I could own a set.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  18. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Agreed, plus the drawer construction looks english. Interesting desk, it has empire feet & almost william & mary type legs. I wonder if late victorians in europe did what some americans did, 2 or 3 styles rolled into one piece.

Draft saved Draft deleted