How old is this oil lamp?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by buyjunksellantiques, Jul 1, 2015.

1. I know this little carved bird is a hand thrown terra cotta oil lamp. The only opening is the hole on it's tail for filling and feeding the wick in. There are no markings on it and I've searched the web via google and yahoo but can't seem to find one like it. I've used the general search terms i.e., antique, vintage, bird, hand thrown, terra cotta, stoneware, oil lamp, etc.; I've found several oil lamps but nothing close to looking like this. I've even went so far as searching for "new" oil lamp pottery and have found nothing.
    Sooo I thought maybe someone one in this group could help me out. I'm thinking it's central or south American (Mexican and lower countries), because of the design. But I'm stumped because I'm a little out of my zone on this sort of thing. Any contribution would help me greatly. TIA

010.jpg 011.jpg 014.jpg 010.jpg 011.jpg 010.jpg

Attached Files:

• 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      932.1 KB
      Views:
    KingofThings likes this.
  2. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Hi!
    Try searching with different combinations of key words like:
    pottery parrot effigy, pre columbian, mexican.
    You might be able to find where the original artifact this is based on came from.

buyjunksellantiques likes this.
  3. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Clay/TC lamps almost always have two holes on top, one for flame going out and one for air going in. That and the neat cylinder form of spout interior makes me think it was intended as a corked jug of some kind. But pottery is one of my many areas of ineptitude.

Dimensions are always appreciated.

buyjunksellantiques likes this.
  4. Thank you Laura, I hadn't thought about it being a parrot or an effigy. I will check it out right now, thanks again!

5. I found one! Very, VERY similar; called a Colima parrot vessel. I didn't sign it or join in to find out what it sold for but it says the starting bid was $200 (USD). I think mine might be a little newer than the one I saw on the pinterest site, that one says it dates from 100BC - 250AD and it's "plainer" than the one I have. But it's pre-Colombian, West Mexico, an oil vessel, and the dimensions are the same. The pinterest one needed restoration, they stated all of the pieces were there. Mine's intact.
    Your information helped me so much and I'm so thankful to you.

6. I'm sorry, I forgot to put it's size down. It's 8" x 11 1/4"

7. springfld.arsenal

8. I forgot to add, that I inadvertently got a picture of the price tag that I paid for it. Oh well, I do not intend to sell it for that, so anything over a dollar is profit I suppose. <giggle>

9. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Just remember, the one you have is probably what would be called a reproduction or replica based on an original ancient artifact. I think it would be rare to find one from an actual archaeological site. But you never know! I think you need @Taupou to look at this.

10. springfld.arsenal

Draft saved Draft deleted