How Old Is My Royal Copenhagen Plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by John Brassey, Aug 13, 2024.

1. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

I asked yesterday about identifying the half and full lace Royal Copenhagen patterns and got a full explanation (thank you).

I now realise that my piece is not a lace piece. My question now is, how old is it? It’s 23cm in diameter and has three wavy lines on the reverse. I was going to date it to c1890-1920 but happened upon the example in the V&A (final two photos) which is dated c1780.

What date do you think mine is?

IMG_7977.jpeg IMG_7978.jpeg IMG_7980.png IMG_7974.png IMG_7976.png

2. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Nice! So similar, but the "immortelle" pattern isn't exactly the same and it's about 3 cm different in size. I have no idea if it's as old as the one in the V & A or newer (as in 19th c newer).

3. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Agreed. I think I will play it safe and describe as late 19th century when I sell it.

kentworld likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted