How do you tell fake leopard fur from real?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by vintagerobin, Apr 8, 2017.

1. vintagerobin

vintagerobin Well-Known Member

DSC_4331.JPG I have a collar and belt that are real fur. But I don't know if it's real leopard or some other fur dyed to look like leopard. Does anyone know how to tell? Thanks!

Joshua Brown likes this.
  2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Just my first impulse...
    It's probably cowhide, if it's fake, right? Hold it up against some known cowhide and compare.
    Any labels? Good fur is labeled, and probably by a known furrier.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  3. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Yeah, unfortunately this is another material you will have to "qualify" before you can sell it - Leopard skin/fur is on the list of Can Not Sell stuff...............but I have found no way to tell the difference. I just donated what I had to a pet rescue - they used it and some minks, and seal skin stuff as "cuddlers" for newborns............

4. vintagerobin

I have a piece of seal skin that I will donate to the local animal shelter. It's the softest fur I have ever felt.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  5. vintagerobin

The texture reminds me of cowhide. These pieces must have come from a coat. They aren't labeled but the coat probably was.

Joshua Brown and judy like this.
  6. Mansons2005

All I could think of was what my grandmother would have said if she had been alive when I gave her leopard cloak to a bunch of yet-to-open-their-eyes kittens.................though Mama MIGHT have gotten a giggle over the puppies crawling into her sable muff...............

Joshua Brown, judy, antidiem and 3 others like this.
  7. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

That's precious, Manson.

Robin, there are actually a lot of faux fur collar/belt combos for sale at accessory places...

Joshua Brown and vintagerobin like this.
  8. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

They won't take it - why in the hell would you want to feel a clubbed to death baby seal fur in the first place - Time to open the can of worms!!

Joshua Brown likes this.
  9. vintagerobin

Animal shelters take fur pieces and use them for newborn kittens or puppies as comfort items.

You can't look at something to see what it is without touching it. But it isn't the spotted baby seal. This is a brown fur. I only know it's seal because of a stamp on the back.

Joshua Brown and judy like this.
  10. Mansons2005

What was done in the past is past - my only concern now is to treat the remnants of the past with some respect and that reflects current mores and needs. Thus, if the fur furnishes comfort for a living creature that has no other options, well, there it is...............

11. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I think that is an easy way out - When I rehabilitate ducks and geese I sure as hell don't go out and kill a duck or goose then stuff it to provide comfort for the injured bird - I use fake stuffed toy animal birds you can buy in a store and they work just perfectly for companionship! It also take a person that actually cares for the birds constant welfare till it can be let go into the wild again.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  12. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Just want to add that there is a way to tell printed haircalf or "pony" (which is cow...) from true exotics but I can't tell on those small pieces (and lack of detail) although I'd guess (which isn't good enough but it is an educated guess) that the skins are not cat. On larger pieces there will be a repeating pattern from the stenciling.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like leopard to me..[​IMG]

Joshua Brown likes this.
  14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I got my rescue kitty a sheepskin at a rummage sale. Made a good nest until she decided yesterday that she prefers the couch.:)

Joshua Brown and Rayo56 like this.
  15. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I got my rescue kitty a sheepskin at a rummage sale. Made a good nest until she decided yesterday that she prefers the couch

Well, Evelyb, I'll bet she'd be very happy if you just put that sheepskin on the couch!

komokwa likes this.
  16. evelyb30

Tough.(LOL) Besides, I think she's going to be commuting for a while. She's afraid of feet.

17. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Does it purr when you stroke it? That might help.

komokwa likes this.
  18. evelyb30

I'm not even going to touch that one! All I can see is Zsazsa and Johnny Carson....

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  19. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Tough.(LOL) Besides, I think she's going to be commuting for a while. She's afraid of feet.

:eek::eek::oops::oops::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It is like we say about our little boy dog, "so many issues in such a little dog". ;):D:D

Draft saved Draft deleted