How do I keep this up

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Brian Warshaw, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

I bought this R Merkelbach beer jug for the paltry sum of €3 on Facebook Marketplace. It really is lovely. The Mark suggests that it is c.1930. It is probably my intention to sell it at some future date; but for now I thought it might be a good idea to collect around it a few other Merkelbach items.

DSCF6228 LRES.jpg

DSCF6207 Lres.jpg

An enigma is the figure '1'. Markelbach was maticulous with inscibing the mould number; but number 1 mould this is not.

Incidently, a similar jug on Ebay, and currently in the USA is described as ‘Art Nouveau’. My knowledge of AN is at the level of looking for flowers performing impossible acts of flexibility. This one, according to the seller has no number at all.

Then along comes this one, which has just been delivered. It is a one-litre Merkelbach & Wick salt-glazed grey stoneware stein for Munich’s famous Hofbräuhaus Brewery. I paid the outrageous price of €4 for it, and I’m concerned this is beginning to lead me down a dangerous path to penury. It’s not the most beautiful piece of pottery I’ve ever seen.

DSCF6328 low.JPG

DSCF6302 low.jpg

DSCF6336 low.jpg

While the stein is made by M&W, the lid is the work of Pauson of Munchen. Pauson’s was opened for business in 1884 a wholesaler and retailer of kitchenware, dinnerware and other household products. By 1888 the same of beer steins played and import part in its success.

Pauson also operated a pewter moulding business where it made lids for the stein bodies it bought in. M&W was one of several suppliers. The Mark is very difficult to see, however the circle and a hint of writing can be made out.

There is an interesting article about this specific model: http://stein-collectors.org/steinmo/2004/HB.html

The date of the stein is easily identifiable by the blue colour of the logo, and by the lid. The lid says Kgl. Hofbräuhaus München. Kgl., is an abbreviation for königlich, and indicates royal ownership, which dates this stein as prior to circa 1920. The break occurred because Kaiser was overthrown.

And a few weeks ago I picked up a stein Marked with a RM within a G. The 'Stein Marks' website says that it is a '3rd Reich "Dienstzeit" stein, dated circa 1938', a period of enforced military service. That was a €1,50 buy at the charity shop.

DSCF6349 Lowres.jpg

So, the three questions I’d appreciate you answering for me are:

1 Is the jug classified as Art Nouveau?

2 What is a good website on which to sell this type of goods, bearing in mind I am in Europe, although happy to export to the USA?

3 How do I keep this run of good luck going?

Any ideas greatly welcomed and appreciated.

Attached Files:

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  2. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

Please forgive me for writing Markelbach in places. It's either my age or I'm obsessed with the Duchess of Sussex.

Draft saved Draft deleted