How Can I Safely Clean My Kayserzinn Bowl ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by spirit-of-shiloh, Jan 13, 2015.

1. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Hi, I am finally clearing out my hoard in my eBay room since I can hardly get to anything. I ran across this in my pewter pile and its nasty inside plus there are a few specks of white paint spatter that my 2nd husband did while painting the kitchen.

DSCN2268.JPG DSCN2266.JPG Of course he didn't cover anything at the time. :shame: Is there a way to clean the inside so the pitting does not get worse? Also, I have to remove the paint on the edges and need a way to do it without ruining the patina. Any help is greatly appreciatedd. Thanks :cat:

antidiem and yourturntoloveit like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Mineral oil?

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I assume the paint is latex? I would try to flake it off with your nail. If that does not work, soak it in warm sudsy water and it should come off. You could use a sponge to scrub but nothing really abrasive.

I wouldn't worry much about the interior. I would just clean it with soap and water. It may still end up having lime deposits and some deterioration to the metal but I think most expect this on the interior.

This type of cleaning should not hurt the patina on the outside. Once dry, just buff with a soft cloth. If it looks overly dull, you can always apply a coat of paste wax. Be aware that this will probably make the color variations seen in the surface more pronounced.

4. spirit-of-shiloh

Thank guys for your speedy reply. It is latex and I tried my nail but nothing. I will do the soap & water. I don't have paste wax but mineral oil,shall I use that? When you say paste wax, like car wax?

5. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Alcohol will slowly soften old paint too, without doing anything else.

6. spirit-of-shiloh

Thanks, I'll try that too. Its soaking as I type

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

You could use car wax unless it is a cleaner/wax that has abrasive in it. I always keep a can of paste wax for furniture and wood floors on hand and use it on a lot of things. My preferred brand is Johnson's but there are lots of others. Mineral oil will work but, over time, can get sticky and attract dust/dirt. This is not the end of the world. You can always wash it off and re-apply.

8. spirit-of-shiloh

I think I have some old furniture paste wax somewhere in the barn,thanks.:cat:

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

if none of the above work, try Goo Gone or a touch of WD40, very sparingly.

(Alcohol is best down my gullet.)

10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The best thing to remove paint and stuff from door knobs. back plates and other metal items is an old slow cooker. I drop the stuff in cover it with soapy water sometimes add a tablespoon of ammonia and let it cook all night. The next day all the paint washes right off. I am tired of expensive chemicals and hard work.:rolleyes:
    greg

spirit-of-shiloh and antidiem like this.
  11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Turps or mineral spirits might work.

12. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It's gorgeous! Thank you for showing me. :)

13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It is pretty - love the design!

14. spirit-of-shiloh

Well the warm soapy water made the paint scrape off with my fingernail. I could not find my paste wax so used a bit of Old English. It has scratches and the base is a bit tweaked:( Thanks to all for your help :cat:
    DSCN2302.JPG
    DSCN2301.JPG

antidiem and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted