How can I get glue off of Steuben Bouquet Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Brywil1970, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Brywil1970

Brywil1970 Well-Known Member

Today I found what I believe is a Steuben Bouquet vase, but I believe someone had made one of those great ;) glass towers out of it and there is glue all over the base so I cannot see a signature. Does anyone have any experience taking glue off of these. I am thinking Acetone, but figured I would ask here first

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Try a hot water soak to soften it first, then pick off the glue with your fingers. You may need to repeat that.

3. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

depends on the "glue" that was used; epoxy, silicon, super glue, etc.

4. Ownedbybear

Indeed. I start with hot water, then move to other methods if needed.

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Be careful that you do not shock and crack the glass by putting it under hot water immediately. You have to raise the temperature slowly. Art glass can be pretty fragile this way. I learned this the hard way a long time ago :(

6. Ownedbybear

Fair point: thermal shock is a right pain. ;)

7. Brywil1970

Brywil1970 Well-Known Member

Well thanks guys I thought for sure the glue was a hard epoxy but the hot water worked glue came off and low ane behold there was the Steuben signature. I am sure it made a pretty glass tower, but I cannot believe they used Steuben to build one :)

*crs* and Bakersgma like this.
  8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Maybe it was glued to a shelf so it couldn't be knocked over? Or the glue was the remnants of protective padding?

9. Ownedbybear

I bet it had a felt base to protect whatever surface it stood on. Glad the hot water worked!

10. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

How about a Picture now.

11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Yea, we wana see :)

Draft saved Draft deleted