Horse figurine how do I tell brass from bronze?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Kevolee, Jul 2, 2024 at 9:49 PM.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm not sure if this horse is brass or bronze. I believe it is bronze but am unsure how to tell the difference. It is not marked in any way unless it's under the felt on the bottom. Also, I was wondering about opinions on the quality and possibly an approximate age. It is quite heavy at 4.9 lbs and 8" long and just over 7" tall, less the base. Thanks in advance for any help.

horse1.jpg horse2.jpg horse3.jpg horse4.jpg horse5.jpg horse6.jpg horse7.jpg

Last edited: Jul 2, 2024 at 10:07 PM
    Marote likes this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Kevolee, 5kb is not large enough per image for us to be able to help you!! They are too small to see anything specifically..... You can go up to just UNDER 1 MB PER image if you'd like to!! Your full image of the horse looking away from us I was able to enlarge SIX Times....that's
    216 kb.....so you have an idea what enlarging shows.........

100_2045-a-gigapixel-high fidelity v2-6x.jpg

Last edited: Jul 2, 2024 at 10:41 PM
    Marote and komokwa like this.
  3. Kevolee

Got it, been a long night I'll see what I can do.

4. Aquitaine

Whenever you have time........most of us are here often!!!!:happy:

5. Kevolee

6. Aquitaine

Is it very heavy??? AND, does where I've circled in red, near his withers, does this look like it could be a mark???

Poss MARK--h6.jpg

7. Kevolee

I put a light on it and magnified it and it’s not a mark. Yes, it weighs over 4.5 pounds.

8. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

here is the same one with a ridiculous asking price particularly when the seller doesn't know the material or artist. https://www.ebay.com/itm/224124108377
    A lot of these sculptures were after the artist Pierre Jules Mene but this one doesn't not appear to be very well cast. It could be spelter I guess.

Any Jewelry likes this.