Featured Horn Spoon with Silver Shield, Repaired Basket Case

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by wlwhittier, May 5, 2024.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

It was in several (5) pieces, an' a gift on acquisition. Y'all won't need a loupe to see the crummy job I made of the repairs, but it is at least in a semblance of its original shape. The silver shield has a single pin out the back, an' at that pin-hole in the handle was a major break, with an odd chip...ver' difficult to re-fit, as you can tell. The shield was moderately bent when the breakage occurred an' I wasn't able to fully straighten it for the repair.

Can anyone say what it represents in terms of culture or purpose?
    I have had it for decades, procrastinating the attempt at repair until a few days ago...perhaps if I had begun when my hands were less shaky, an my patience somewhat greater the result would be more perfect. Thanks for lookin'!

P1410224.jpeg P1410225.jpeg P1410226.jpeg P1410227.jpeg P1410228.jpeg P1410229.jpeg P1410230.jpeg P1410231.jpeg P1410232.jpeg P1410233.jpeg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice spoon......the shield always makes me think trophy or presentation...

wlwhittier likes this.
  3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Scottish horn spoon missing its silver mount at the top of the handle - would have a ball or thistle at the tip, occasionally a whistle, or even a bell/rattle. The vast majority, if hallmarked, date to the late 19th-early 20th century, though certainly made earlier as well...

~Cheryl

4. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

2991A.jpg

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Don't beat yourself up about it, whit, horn is difficult to repair.
    And if I am correct, there was already a repair just above the bowl of the spoon.
    The horn is very dry, a drop of oil will make it look happier.:)

wlwhittier, johnnycb09 and Marote like this.
  6. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Thanks, AJ...I've never known what to treat dry horn with, so several of my pieces appear distressed, as this one does.
    The repair just above the bowl is mine as well...the only one I'm happy with.
    Mineral oil, Neatsfoot, Jojoba...what criteria for use on horn?

Marote and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

I'm sure any type will do, as long as it feeds the horn.
    I use vegetable oil, rice bran or olive. US members say their olive oil goes off, so maybe not use US olive oil.
    Some people use beeswax.

8. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Nor Portuguese olive oil!
    That tastes too good to be used for this :D

NanaB and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Spanish, French and Australian olive oil are too good too.
    I recommend Greek oil. I don't like their olives or their olive oil. (I'll go and hide now.)

Last edited: May 6, 2024
    Marote likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted