Featured Horn snuff box- age and origin?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by shamster, Jul 14, 2024.

1. shamster

shamster Well-Known Member

1.jpg 3.jpg
    Seller said early to mid 20th century, but similar ones are also listed as victorian online? What do you think

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Links to the similars you found might be helpful. If there are metal hinges (it is unclear from the photos) they could also be useful.

3. shamster

https://topbananaantiques.com/products/carvde-horn-duck-snuff-box-antique-victorian-c1880
    https://www.barnebys.com/auctions/l...arved-horn-snuff-box-in-the-form-o-K3lXqBFJ67
    https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/170...how_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details
    Here you are:angelic: and yes metal(brass?) hinged, same to all the examples here, and identical construction

4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

It’s an interesting little thing. I think it will be difficult to know for sure. Price wise it doesn’t seem to make alot of difference. To me some examples looks to be a bit more detailed and slightly better made than others (but that can obviously be expected from such handmade items)

shamster likes this.
  5. shamster

Yes, I do hope I could claim this victorian but it's a lovely thing anyway:angelic:

Boland likes this.
  6. Matahari

Matahari Well-Known Member

I certainly think yours is finished with a lot more care than those cited above !!

yes I would say Victorian without a doubt

( "Victorian" covered quite a long time )

origin would also be England considering the amount of imported materiels from the colonies; ivory horn skins corals shell etc

Last edited: Jul 15, 2024
    shamster likes this.
  7. shamster

Thank you :joyful: and I agree haha mine is the fairest among them all with almost jade-like texture

8. Matahari

Matahari Well-Known Member

after Victorian we went into Art Nouveau and Art Deco ( your box being neither and I think snuff had definitely gone out of fashion by then :) )

then the war sort of stopped artistic "mouvements" until the swinging sixties seventies and ...... then what ? scratch.png

so yes Victorian for me :)

9. shamster

That’s what I thought too, don’t think people would still have that much snuff boxes for everyday use at that late

10. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

To be fair snuff boxes and snuff bottles were/are heavily reproduced in the modern era due to their collectible value. In no way am I commenting on the age of yours. Just that it needn’t necessarily be made in the era snuff was used. Yours is neat and I have no idea when it was made.

Draft saved Draft deleted