Featured Horatio Nelson commemorative medallion

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by the blacksmith, May 4, 2023.

1. the blacksmith

the blacksmith Well-Known Member

Not too much happening here, so thought I'd post a little knick knack of mine.

This is a commemorative medal of Lord Nelson, struck in 1897 and made from copper from the hull sheathing of one of Nelson's flagships, HMS Foudroyant, in which he flew his flag from 1801-1803.
    HMS Foudroyant went aground and was wrecked on Blackpool beach in a huge storm in June 1897, she was eventually broken up there, and these coins were sold to help pay for this and other work.
    Not of much monetary value, but of some historical interest, especially to a Napoleonic War geek like me!

IMAG2154.jpg

IMAG2152.jpg

HMS Fourdroyant wreck, 1897..jpg
    HMS Foudroyant wrecked on Blackpool beach, 1897.

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

where went the cannons ??

[​IMG]

Nelson's column , Montreal !!!

Figtree3 and lovewrens like this.
  3. the blacksmith

Another little piece of Nelson interest that I have is this exquisite little Royal Doulton jug. The profile of Lord Nelson is particularly fine.
    I know nothing about this piece, except that it is Doulton, and I adore it! It is only some 1 3/4" ( ca. 43mm ) tall.

IMAG2166.jpg

IMAG2167.jpg

4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Thank you for sharing these!

Any Jewelry and the blacksmith like this.
  5. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Is it royal doulton or doulton lambeth?

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If you're into Nelson, check out this view inside of a $illy money antiques shop. Lady Hamilton makes an appearance. (and as usual she ain't going cheap. Liked the finer things, did our girl.)

the blacksmith likes this.
  7. the blacksmith

Wow, thank you so much for posting that link. What a mouth watering collection! Love the Emma Hamilton portrait. Sadly, she will not be gracing my walls, but a beautiful piece. A truly awesome collection of artefacts. Thank you. I'll have to buy the books now that my interest is piqued!
    Nelson interests me certainly, but all naval history fascinates me to be honest.

Chinoiserie,
    The little jug is Royal Doulton.

IMAG2175.jpg

8. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Okay thanks.

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

You're welcome. I was watching it for my own enjoyment and it turns out the dealer is a Nelson afficionado.

the blacksmith likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted