hongshan pig dragon???

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by hunt2, Jun 13, 2024.

1. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

IMG_20240613_181421125.jpg IMG_20240613_181430292.jpg IMG_20240613_181457961.jpg this is a hongshan pig dragon, with hand held toolmarks no machine toolmarks. The line are uneven and squickly. Would love to know how old it is. The youtube channel of prof. David Anderson is quite intriquin. You can find it under hongshan jade

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

No it isn't, and you can't say that if you have no proof.
    It is made in the late 20th - early 21st century, and inspired by Hongshan pieces. It is nephrite jade.

3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

What I see in both the 'eye', an' in the hole bored through the body, are machine tool impressions...the uniformity of the circular cuts; an' in the hole, strong evidence of being cut from both sides, leaving the shoulder at the mid-point of the bore.

4. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

do you have proof it is 20th/21th century? exept for what look like modern toolmarks..

Last edited: Jun 13, 2024
  5. Any Jewelry

Yes:

1. The modern technique, as described by whit in post #3.
    2. Archaic Chinese jades, including Hongshan jades, are very tactile. Yours is not.
    2. The very rough edges and lines. On the real Hongshan jades, including the 'pig dragons', those are worn smooth.
    3. The holes on Hongshan jades taper on both sides, becoming narrow towards the centre. And they are worn smooth, of course.
    4. https://artsandculture.google.com/story/discover-the-story-of-the-jade-pig-dragon/1wUhqSIHizhnkg
    5. It is exactly like the countless fakes China has been churning out over the past few decades, and nothing like Hongshan jades.
    6. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr....m570.l1313&_nkw=hongshan+pig+dragon&_sacat=0

I could go on, but I think this will suffice.

Now, what exactly is your proof?

6. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

oke i understand. But there are different opinions about which jades are real hongshan and which jades are new. In the fact that real ancient jade has weathered and will always be a little rough. The smooth ones could also been removed from their calcification and roughnes. Because alot of people prefer the smooth ones. And even christies cleanes all their jades from the hongshan. The center drill hole in my pig dragon is as crooked as can be and drilled from two sides like the ancients did. Sadly judging something from a photograph is almost impossible. It would humor me if you took a look at the youtube video of prof david anderson or is he a crook? Anyway nice to hear it is at least nephrite jade. And i am not dissapointed at all and value your opinion, because you seem to know alot about every post i did.

komokwa likes this.
  7. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

some things you can just tell are not old, no matter how you want them to be ;)

don't you think the white tooled areas would have discoloured by now ?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2024
    kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Can I ask, @hunt2, how big is this jade? How much does it weigh?

Any Jewelry and Boland like this.
  9. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Was also wondering. Looks huge

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks. Watched some talks/presentations of prof. Anderson last night. Was overall interesting and informative. He also has an ‘interesting’ sense of humour.

hunt2 likes this.
  11. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

I hope your not mad at me. I do appreciate all the help you gave on my topics. Sometimes i am a little to enthausiatic.

12. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

It is huge, can't find one like this on ebay. Where most of the so called hongshan items are sold.

Boland likes this.
  13. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

44 x 27 x 6 cm en the weight i guess 15 kilo.

Potteryplease and Boland like this.
  14. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

the white you see is not from tooling but weathering. as prof anderson said, it is tremolite.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  15. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

the pig dragon is smoother than it looks on the photo. some areas are highly rubbed by handling. What i find strange is the the lines around the eyes suddely stop or are worn away. what do you guys think. IMG_20240614_112439151.jpg IMG_20240614_112419092.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  16. Any Jewelry

No, I'm not mad at you. Shaking my head, but not mad.;)
    Agree.:D

charlie cheswick, kyratango and hunt2 like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

That is probably the weight of all Hongshan jades put together.;)
    If you were to adorn the body of a deceased Hongshan official with such a chunk of jade, it would be crushed. I don't think a culture that treated their dead with so much respect would do that, do you?

You tend to get so carried away by your excitement over yet another find, that your sense of logic goes out the window. If you take a few minutes to think about all the whys and wherefores, you will probably reach the same conclusion as everyone else.

On the upside, you have a wonderful chunk of nephrite jade.:)

18. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

yes and i have got a nice decorative nephrite statue

charlie cheswick and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Agree. Hongshan designs are very pleasing to the eye, even the fakes/replicas. I also have some fakes/replicas, regular size ones, and they have an esthetic value to me. Not everything has to be ancient to be enjoyed.:)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2024
    charlie cheswick, kyratango and hunt2 like this.
  20. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted