Hockey jersey?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by David Askett, Aug 24, 2024.

1. David Askett

David Askett Well-Known Member

I believe this is an old hockey jersey but am not sure. It appears to be made of wool, and has a tag from a Canadian company known for making jerseys for NHL teams in the 1930’s through the 1960’s. I would love to know if you think it is a hockey jersey (or not!) and when it might date to.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cxgirl likes this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

neat piece @David Askett :) Do you know what the DOL stands for? I wonder if they always used the shortened version of Peterborough on their labels?
    Maybe try asking here?

https://www.historymuseum.ca

David Askett likes this.
  4. David Askett

Roaring20s likes this.
  5. David Askett

Thanks! I believe DOL stands for Dorr Oliver Long, a company that mostly produced mining equipment and was a major employer in my home town, back in the day. Maybe the jersey is from a company team? I’m trying to find a photo of jerseys like this one being worn. As for “Peterboro”, in my experience this spelling was more common in the mid-20th century, and less common now. I don’t know if the tag would help date the jersey, but I will do some digging!

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

To my eye, that tag looks 1960s-1970s but could be wrong.

Debora

7. David Askett

Thanks, I agree. This is exactly why I’m having trouble dating this. It’s either an old jersey with a strangely modern-looking tag, or a relatively modern jersey with an old-fashioned look, made from an old-fashioned material (wool).

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Dorr Oliver Long did have a lot of sports leagues and their logo typeface wasn't dissimilar.

Debora

David Askett likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted