Hobbyist piece? If not, does anyone recognise the sig or design?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Elen Beattie, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

Hello all. I liked the drip glaze on this one. It's a vase, signed on the bottom 'H' something and appears to have the no. 33 on it and some other faded marks. Is this just a hobbyist piece or something else? It is quite heavy, 6.25" H x 5" W x 2.5" depth. Opinions welcome :happy:

image0 (94).jpeg image1 (81).jpeg image2 (67).jpeg image4 (48).jpeg

judy and komokwa like this.
  2. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

It looks commercially made rather than studio pottery to me; but I am far from an expert in this area, and I'm sure others will have more reliable opinions.

3. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

It’s commercially made (slip cast) as all_fakes said. Mid century ish. If you enhance the bottom photo you may be able to make out the rest of the name. I’m not at my computer or I would do it for you. Cheers! -Joe

judy and komokwa like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'd vote commercially made but by a smaller studio potter than the firms that used more official looking marks.

judy and Elen Beattie like this.
  5. Elen Beattie

The mark is quite worn, I thought perhaps H.Kleiner? I found a Herman Kleiner but unsure if it is his or not!

judy likes this.
  6. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Yes, that's it.

judy, Elen Beattie and bercrystal like this.
  7. Joe in PA

Name may show up better if you clean it up. If you need suggestion for cleaning - tepid water and liquid dishwashing soap (e.g. Dawn) will get you started. You can use a nylon scruffy on the underside (only) to get some of the dirt off. I like to work on a rubber matt in the sink and watch out not to bump it on the faucet. -Joe

judy and Elen Beattie like this.
  8. Joe in PA

judy likes this.
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Odd description. Crazy shipping too!

bercrystal and Elen Beattie like this.
  10. Elen Beattie

bercrystal likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

West German by the look of it.

Elen Beattie likes this.
  12. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Herman Kleiner, Jr., founded Creek Turn Pottery in Hainesport, N.J., in 1927. It closed during WWII but reopened and was still in business until the 1980s when Lehner's Ency. was published. HK studied at the Trenton Industrial School, which was run by the big Trenton potteries to train workers.

bercrystal, JayBee and Bakersgma like this.
  13. Elen Beattie

Great thanks a lot for that info, very helpful!

14. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

bercrystal likes this.
  15. Elen Beattie

VERY optimistic! :hilarious:

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted