Featured Hints and Tips.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Poisonivy, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

Sorry if this idea has already been covered but I thought wouldn't it be a great idea if there was a thread where members can post tips on what they have found works, products they have found and can't live without for restoration, Just general info on what members can try. Its surprising what you already have in the home that helps when restoring or identifying metals ect .

cxgirl, KingofThings and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: Unless the 'powers that be' think we're getting too many 'Forums'.........

Poisonivy and KingofThings like this.
  3. persona-non-gratin

persona-non-gratin Well-Known Member

If you are finding it difficult to determine what wood a piece is made of, set fire to it.

Then it will be Ash.:rolleyes:

Poisonivy, judy, Figtree3 and 8 others like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

De fizzed cola works great for polishing brass.....not so much quenching thirst !

Poisonivy, KingofThings and lloyd249 like this.
  5. Poisonivy

What do the Admins/Moderators think to having a forum for this topic?

KingofThings and lloyd249 like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

so far..........nothing!:hilarious:

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

For cleaning really stubborn tarnish off of brass:

Brasso + ultrafine steel wool.

For polishing the fine intricate details on brass and silver:

Use your fingers, dipped in polishing fluid/paste. I do this all the time. It's messy, but the results are great.

For Unscrewing really stuck threaded components:

Drip sewing machine oil. Let it soak in. Then twist. Once opened - CLEAN THE THREADS WITH OIL AND TISSUE PAPERS BEFORE SCREWING BACK!! You'll be amazed at the crap that can get stuck inside such a tiny place. Once cleaned, the threaded components will screw back together MUCH more easily.

For holding really tiny screws or nails, preparatory to screwing/nailing them in:

Needle-point tweezers. Absolutely the thinnest-point pair you can find. So much more precise than trying to use your fingers, when you're driving in a nail the size of a staple.

For preserving the shine on brass:

After polishing and cleaning - rub over generously with olive oil and then polish to a shine once more. Then stare in abject horror at all the grime that came off with the oil.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    Poisonivy, KingofThings and judy like this.
  8. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Its okay to have a thread within the forum, I can make it a Featured Thread..
    The word Brasso even though it is produced in my home city is a dirty word to some of us elder members of the forum and ex eBay Antiques :rolleyes:

9. Shangas

So do I have to delete my post now?

KingofThings likes this.
  10. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

No.
    To explain, we had a troll on the old eBay antiques forum who annoyed everyone, he recommended cleaning valuable silver antiques with Brasso and diamond sandpaper.
    He was a real PITA.

11. Shangas

I would never recommend cleaning antique silver with Brasso and sandpaper. I'm feeling nauseous just thinking about it...

12. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I use needlenose pliers on small screws and nails. You have better control and pressure and they come in many shapes. :)

Poisonivy likes this.
  13. Shangas

I have a silver-faced pocket-watch stand from 1920 in my collection. When I bought it, it was covered in dents. I picked out the eight, TINY little nails, lifted the silver facing off, and hammered out the worst of the dents.

Once it was smooth and flat to my satisfaction, I put the facing back onto the front of the stand. But then I had no idea how the hell to get the nails back in! They were absolutely minuscule. It was like trying to hammer in grains of rice!

In the end, I used a pair of tweezers to help me get started on each nail and I'm glad to say - I didn't lose, or damage a single one. The watch-stand is now back to its original state :)

14. Poisonivy

One of my tips to bring antique leather items back to top condition and cover scuffs ect just use good old shoe polish, I have a selection of colours in my box of tricks, Red, Brown, Tan, Black, Green, I will add more as I need them.

cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  15. Poisonivy

Thanks Davey.

KingofThings likes this.
  16. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I use clear shoe polish (paste) to restore coloring on wood objects. Wipe it on rub it around lightly let it dry and then buff. Restores shine and protects and can be removed.
    greg

KingofThings and Poisonivy like this.
  17. Poisonivy

Want to find out if something is Silver? drop a little household bleach on it, If it's Silver it will tarnish right away.

It will also tarnish if it's Silver plated but there's usually other signs with plate such as copper showing through.

KingofThings likes this.
  18. Shangas

They say if you wanna find out if something is silver, you put ice on it (or put the silver on the ice), and it's supposed to melt right through it.

How reliable is this? What if it's really hot out? Don't you need two blocks of ice, to test it properly?

KingofThings likes this.
  19. Poisonivy

I tried this a couple of times, The ice did seem to melt faster on the silver, I think by itself it isn't a definite answer but combined with other tests it can be helpful.

KingofThings likes this.
  20. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    When mirrors start to shed their silver backing. I use straight bleach to remove all the silver and then have the glass place cut a thin mirror to fit under the original glass.
    Some people like the blotchy missing silver but I hate it. The original glass is still there.
    greg

antidiem, KingofThings and Ruedi like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted