Hi lovely people

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Tinpanalleybluesman, Jun 27, 2023.

1. Tinpanalleybluesman

Tinpanalleybluesman New Member

There is not much to say ... I am from Serbia, Belgrade ( capital city of ex-Yugoslavia ), therefore since English is not my native language, there might be some errors.. I loved walking sticks literally since my childhood ... I loved them so much that I would always take my grandfather's walking stick & walk around with it... My elders woul always say that it is not good for me to do so ( I'm guessing that they were
    a bit superstitious ... Probably they were afraid that I could injure or break my leg or something and that I will need a walking stick for real afterwards ) ... I still have my grandfather's old bamboo, light weight cane with a crooked handle, ( which I used to " steal " while nobody is watching & walk around with it as a kid ), and a few others ... A few days earlier, I have manage to get a beautiful art nouveau style walking stick with a sterling silver crooked handle, and black wooden shaft. It's from about 1900 year or so, made in Germany so it seems. It actually requires a bit of work ... Like for some reason, I feel some movement of a handle when I hold the cane in my hand... Almost like there is something inside the wooden shaft ( I believe that it's not something that people call a "system cane" - the one with a hidden function or a tool inside the wooden shaft ). Also a metal frettule at the end of the shaft is loose. I have absolutely NO CLUE about how could I fix this .. Perhaps someone of you lovely people could give me some advice, or tell me about some literature from which I could learn how to do this... Cheers !

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

4. Tinpanalleybluesman

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it !

kyratango likes this.
  5. Tinpanalleybluesman

Thank you & Friendly greetings !

kyratango likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for joining us. You'll find lots of knowledgable and helpful people here from all around the world.

Debora

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

canes come loose...with years of wear and use....
    we'll need good clear photo's to help you....

welcome..

8. Tinpanalleybluesman

Thank youu !!

kyratango likes this.
  9. Tinpanalleybluesman

Thank you very much for your reply and suggestion. Very true, canes come loose with years of use... And this on is over 100 years old. Seems that it was produced somewhere in year 1900. It is " Art nouveau " style and made in Germany . I will post a few photos.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      657.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      821.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      725.5 KB
      Views:
  10. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice stick....that dent on the handle likely shook something loose inside where it joins the wood.

I see no evidence of a sword, or flask....or any tool...:(

kyratango likes this.
  12. Tinpanalleybluesman

Thank you. Exactly, I don't think there is anything like a " hidden " tool or weapon inside. I just feel a bit of movement if I hold a walking stick body ( shaft ) in one hand and while slightly pushing the handle .. Fretulle is more loose. It is not loose much, how ever, I would like to be able to fix this issue somehow... Yet I am afraid to even try to fix myself since I have no clue about how the handle is even attached to the shaft.. And I am almost sure that if I try to fix the frettule, I would probably deform it... I can't find any old litterature about walking stick repairs..

komokwa and kyratango like this.
  13. Tinpanalleybluesman

Thank you very much ! Beautiful cat on your profile photo ! ( I am huge fan of cats myself ... Taking care about two feral cats - mother cat and her daughter since 2015... )

kyratango likes this.
  14. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Welcome from France!:)
    Nice walking stick, and I LOVE your presentation too!
    The handle isn't plain heavy silver, must have a filling which crumbled inside.
    The ferrule is held by a "nail" and seems secure, the wood may have shrunk. A little bit of glue carefully applied in the junction with a wooden toothpick will fill the gap. Wipe it before it is dry!

15. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Kyratango is usually right. many canes have a screw in handle. The hallow handle filled with some type of plaster with the screw embedded. Welcome to the group.[​IMG]

16. Tinpanalleybluesman

Thank you so much for your kind words ! Vive la France !! I really, really appreciate it! Can you please suggest what kind of glue should I apply ?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
    kyratango likes this.
  17. Tinpanalleybluesman

Thank you very much Lark ! Awesome explanation & thanx for sharing the photo ! There is almost nobody around here where I live, who is interested in antique walking sticks. Not to mention that there is probably no one who repairs them.. Therefore I can't get much info around, not even online .. I have tried to find some literature online but I couldn't ..

komokwa likes this.
  18. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

welcome aboard.

Tinpanalleybluesman likes this.
  19. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:happy:
    I'd use wood glue, white when applied, it dries clear.

20. Tinpanalleybluesman

Thank you !

kyratango and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted