Hi from Northumberland UK

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Vikki Carr, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Vikki Carr

Vikki Carr Member

Hi everyone, I'm Vikki, 34 and from Northumberland.
    Just thought I'd say hi and tell you a bit about me. I'm currently writing my first novel and in my spare time trying my hand at restoring old furniture.
    I've always been a lover of art and have grown up with an artist mother, which is were most of my knowledge has come from.
    I'm now keen on expanding my knowledge and venturing into the world of antique furniture, it's kind of 'watch this space' to see which avenue or furniture I go down. I'm leaning towards Elizabethan times as I find it beautiful.
    I'm very new to this world and will probably make a prat of myself but it's all a learning curve, so be nice ;)

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome! :)
    Is your novel's subject a secret?
    What media does your Mom work in?

Joshua Brown and Vikki Carr like this.
  3. Vikki Carr

Vikki Carr Member

My novel is based around a military mans life and how he deals with the transition from army life to civilian life while trying to over come a life changing injury. It's something that's close to my heart.
    My mother dabbles in everything, but she excels in modern visual. She prefers working with oils, claims they are less argumentative and it's easier to blend colours.

Joshua Brown and KingofThings like this.
  4. KingofThings

Sounds quite interesting. :)
    Let us know when it is complete. There are a number of veterans here including me.
    Pardon me when I ask if this is based on a family member?
    ~
    Does Mom do portraits, landscapes or???
    Has she ever done assemblage or sculpture?

Joshua Brown likes this.
  5. Vikki Carr

Vikki Carr Member

I can't really say the whole book is based on one particular person as many of the stories in it are from different people, I've just merged them into one person. There was one person who triggered the storyline but I didn't get to spend much time with him before he passed away. He lost his leg and had many burns from an explosion. He was the one who told me about the struggles of dealing with PTSD and loss of limbs, even things like struggling to find things to do with himself throughout the day.

My mother tried assemblage but she didn't take to it very well.
    She's into painting supernatural/tribal/warrior women/spiritual things like that. She's always hated doing portraits as she always says she can't get the eyes right. Personally I think this is an excuse cause she finds it boring.

6. KingofThings

Oh no. :( R.I.P. young man. :(
    ~
    Many artists struggle with some body parts especially hands.
    I've painted but I like metal sculpture and assemblage much more.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  7. Vikki Carr

Vikki Carr Member

Thank you, he is missed by many.

I love metal sculpture, have you ever heard of Tom Samui? His work is fabulous. This is one of my favorites. rps20170110_145859.jpg

8. KingofThings

Oh! Not name but where is that? I may have see it and more.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  9. Vikki Carr

Vikki Carr Member

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Checked it out......................................AMAZING STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, and WELCOME, Vikki!!!!

11. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Welcome Vikki,
    I will be passing through your neck of the woods around 6am in the morning, A1M Gateshead, I`m going upto Coldstream and then down to Alnwick and then South Shields.

12. Vikki Carr

Vikki Carr Member

Hi Davey
    Nice little run out for you. But rather you than me having to deal with the A1 :)

KingofThings likes this.
  13. Vikki Carr

Vikki Carr Member

Cheers Aquitaine ;)

KingofThings likes this.
  14. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I do it one or two times per week 550 mile round trip leaving at 3.30am, A1M is not to bad compared to the M1 or M25 down south, the scenery is better especially the Secret Kingdom coastline :cool:

Vikki Carr and KingofThings like this.
  15. Vikki Carr

Vikki Carr Member

The coast is beautiful :) I love driving but there's only one 3.30 on my watch and that's pm lol

16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Welcome....

KingofThings and Vikki Carr like this.
  17. Vikki Carr

Vikki Carr Member

Thank you :)

KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  18. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

19. Vikki Carr

Vikki Carr Member

Thank you :happy:

KingofThings likes this.
  20. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Nice to meet you, Ms. Carr! Just a welcoming note - You can be as "amateur" and "unknowledgeable" as ever here! This forum is an assemblage of professionals and amateurs, ninty-nine point nine percent of whom are more than willing to share knowledge or to point you in the proper direction for research.

The OTHER zero point one percent are rabid fools with nothing better to do with their time than post nonsensical, irrelevant drivel in the midst of a serious conversation, taking it way off track.

I personally know the OTHER zero point one percent - and I greet him every morning while I comb my hair in the mirror......................

PS I am a writer as well, though my bailiwick is and has been non-fiction. Unfortunately the muse has NOT been amused lately so the most I have written is completely forgettable, trite, run on sentences that don't even interest me............See above..................

Welcome aboard!

Aquitaine, KingofThings, judy and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted