Hi! Can you help date/identify/describe this glass piece?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Tom Mackay, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Tom Mackay

Tom Mackay Well-Known Member

I admit - I know nothing about this stuff.
    Is this shape called something? What are those "handles" called?
    Do you know this pattern?
    Was this tableware? Do you think it's old?
    (Gosh, I sound like a 4 year-old!)
    The exterior edge of the rim is "bitten" & nicked all around, as if it was frequently subjected to....well, I don't know what. It seems odd to me why that would happen.
    In any case, it was almost a giveaway & I thought it would make a nice catch-all.
    The 1st 3 pics are looking "out through" (bottom, side, side).
    It is 4 13/16" across (5 1/4" @ the "handles") and fully 1/4" thick. 20171021_101345.jpg 20171021_101612.jpg 20171021_101710.jpg 20171021_101946.jpg

2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

At just over 4" I think it's probably a Master Salt. Would those be considered 'ears?'

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  3. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

No help with the pattern, but I have seen those "tab" handled bowls referred to as butter tubs.

yourturntoloveit and SBSVC like this.
  4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Here is the individual salt in a similar pattern. Only 1 3/4" or so.

il_570xN.1373410127_25as.jpg

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

It could be for individual butter.

6. Tom Mackay

Hmmm...a butter tub with a lid could explain the chipping all around the rim... BUT...the chipping is on the "ears/"tabs" also, which would make for an oddly shaped lid, at least, as far as I can imagine one. I mean, I would expect a lid to sit down within those uprights. Still, I have some terms to use now! I was amazed at the tiny 1/8" star cut in the middle of the bottom ! (Cited from: https://www.antiquers.com/threads/hi-can-you-help-date-identify-describe-this-glass-piece.21722/)

judy and cxgirl like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

At 5 13/16 inches, it seems large for an individual serving of something like butter. Handles on both sides would make it suitable for passing around the table, which may partially explain chipping. Is it cut glass or pressed glass?

judy, yourturntoloveit and Sandra like this.
  8. Tom Mackay

Well, there's no seam I can detect but beyond that I have no idea.

What I find odd is that there is no chipping on the inner rim, not a single fleabite, just the outer & that has chips all the way around the entire outer rim including the "handles".

judy likes this.
  9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It is the distribution of the chips that makes me think this routinely moved around, knocked into other things on the table, rather than spending most of its time sitting in one place.

When you run a finger over cut glass, the edges are pretty sharp; pressed glass has a more rounded feel.

10. Tom Mackay

They feel sharp. here's some close-ups of the rim. #3 is the top of a handle. 20171021_202727.jpg 20171021_202848.jpg 20171021_202932.jpg

yourturntoloveit and cxgirl like this.
  11. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

looks like cut glass. In this listing there is a catalogue page showing this shape as an ice tub, but could have been used for anything - yours is a bit smaller than the one in the listing.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/322833583216?rmvSB=true

12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

This shape depending on size is a butter tub or ice tub.
    I think the one shown here is a butter tub. Ice tubs are larger.

American Brilliant Period
    The chips lower the value considerably.

Sandra, judy and cxgirl like this.
  13. Tom Mackay

Thank you !

cxgirl and judy like this.
  14. Tom Mackay

I wasn't planning on selling it with all those chips, simply enjoying it, but I wanted to know about it. Now I have lots of search words/terms so THANKS EVERYBODY !

Sandra and cxgirl like this.
  15. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

I have had a few pieces with this general shape and tab handles....depending on size...mine were called either individual or master salts..and one of the very deep pieces was called an ice tub.

judy likes this.
  16. Tom Mackay

Just realized - I never gave the depth! The interior depth is only 1 1/2".

17. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

That depth would work as a butter tub in regions where butter is purchased in 1# blocks rather than sticks. Just slice off the amount anticipated for a meal.

18. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

When this was made people were probably still making their own butter.

Sandra likes this.
  19. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Well, I'd still put it on the top shelf with my open salts. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted