Hermes: god of ostentation?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by moreotherstuff, Jun 2, 2015.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

2. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I hope I won't offend anyone saying this, but... I think that's nuts.

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    It's relevent to how much money you have. People who have money have nothing to say because it is common. When I was going to school and started working for 15 dollars a week, living on Swanson's pot pies 3 for a buck. I spent $65 for a Waterford crystal ashtray. Now that was crazy but at least I still have it. Don't use it now but it did make me feel like I was on my way up the ladder.
    greg

4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Good point, Greg. When I was younger, I splurged sometimes, too, on something totally inessential even though money was tight.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I'm not a proponent of ostentation, nor of squandering money, but there is a certain style and a lot (LOT) of craftsmanship in an Hermes bag. I have handled some that have been in almost daily use for half a century that retain their form and quality. I feel the same way about other "classic" items that seem to cost a fool's ransom, but but hold value as well as style through the years. Ladies' haute couture (i.e. Chanel Suits) and men's bespoke suits (Brook's Brothers) come to mind. A quarter of a year's salary for a suit may seem extravagant, but it can be worn for decades without becoming out of fashion or being worn out.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Whom ever bought it won't notice a difference in their bank account.......:meh:

pearlsnblume likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I have a couple of handmade couture pieces made for Ma in the 40s. They're still wonderful, wearable and in almost perfect condition. Pa, who earned not a lot, used to buy Loakes and Church's shoes, as he had one leg much shorter than the other, and they were the only comfortable shoes. (Monte Cassino, 1943, landmine.) But, those shoes, polished daily and repaired properly lasted literally decades.

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

my wifes co-worker gave her a black leather Prada eye glass case.
    It's nothing really...but it's thin , sleek ,well made & has Prada stamped into the leather.
    I've never touched a Prada ANYTHING......so it feels kinda cool ! :)

9. johnett

johnett Active Member

I love to have that bag! But sadly my bank wouldnt

10. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Ah, Swanson's pot pies, yummy! At least they used to taste good. Haven't had one in years.
    :)

Draft saved Draft deleted