Featured Here's an unusual little tag.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by vintagerobin, Jan 26, 2018.

1. vintagerobin

vintagerobin Well-Known Member

I know the large tag is probably an advertising key fob or an identifying item tag. But what is the little round medal or tag attached to it. There are actually 2 but I could only get a decent picture of one side of one tag.

The picture shows a large C with III in the center and a ring of 5 point stars around the edge. The other side has a 6 point star with an American flag shield in the center. It looks like there were words all the way around the edge but all I can make out is United States.

The other tag is slightly smaller and has 1822A Venez and what looks like a chinese character on one side. I can't make out what's on the other side.

Anyone have any info? TIA! DSC_0286.JPG DSC_0287.JPG

2. QuincyAK10

QuincyAK10 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  3. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Yes the small silver disc is a US 3 Cent coin.
    Not rare as in the link.

5. vintagerobin

6. vintagerobin

it's so thin it never occurred to me that it was a coin.

7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

They were the smallest US coin issued.
    Known as Trimes and also because they were thin they were nicknamed "Fish Scales"

3 cent.PNG

Aquitaine, Figtree3, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I remember years ago I was visiting family and I found one of the coins next to the sidewalk in the dirt. It was so small and thin I didn't think it was real. I think I still have it somewhere in my 'treasure" box. Thanks for the memories.
    greg

Draft saved Draft deleted