Here’s a call for help regarding Hepburn

Discussion in 'Art' started by TheOLdGuy, Oct 23, 2016.

1. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

Hepburn1.JPG HepburnWhole.JPG HepburnName2.JPG HepburnSigned4.JPG I know Katherine Hepburn as a movie star and sort of neighbor. She was born in the capital city of my state and lived there until she passed away. (I’m sure often off to other areas, but kept the house here, and treated it as “home.”) She also inherited an oceanfront vacation house in the same state.

Now for the picture I just found in my own storage area. Yeah, had it maybe 30 years. Damaged with broken glass and what I believe to be foxing. Small mildew type spotting. Size 16 x 24.

Previous attempts to match the picture with the movie star were a complete failure. Now I find that she was also a part time artist and has sold some of her pictures.

Worth restoring – if even salvageable?

Hepburn1.JPG HepburnWhole.JPG HepburnName2.JPG View attachment 51328

Do it myself or professionally. If repairable it will definitely find a spot in my own house, at least for a while.

OH, yeah, almost forgot.
    I'll be glued to the TV from 4:35 until at least 8 PM EST.

But I'll check back after the Patriots win by at least one field goal
    . :cool:

Though I expect a much better showing than that. :p

2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

4. TheOLdGuy

Thanks, Bev. Can't tell if sig. is part of the print or not. I was ready to toss it out, but then thought I'd check with the experts first.

SBSVC, thanks to you, too. I think the link you provided must have changed. Why? Because I somehow have four pictures above, and then three of them repeated. No idea how that happened. The picture you linked is exactly the same one as above, without the sig. I believe you would have commented on that.
    No question by me that it mine is a print, with a sig. Sig printed?

I certainly hope that I can find time tomorrow to take the whole thing apart, toss the broken glass and at least try to ID the sig. as original or part of the copy.

OH, in case you missed it - Pats 27, Steelers 16. :rolleyes:

5. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Oooooooooooooohhh... exciting. I hope it's a signature!

I love Katherine Hepburn. What a character. As Yanqui as they come.

Yankee. :)

6. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Can't assist, BUT had to mention that even though we all know that Kate was a "Yankee", most New Yorker's thought of her as a native daughter. She'd lived in NYC for so many years she had become a fixture. Turtle Bay is "just not the same" since she's gone.

7. TheOLdGuy

I've often wondered how she split up her time. Most want to claim full possession of someone of her talent, and likability. I started with ownership but will gladly share her. I'm sure she spent considerably more time in Turtle Bay than living next to Mark Twain. (Samuel Clemens.)
    Would like to know how much time she spent in Old Saybrook.

I really like Kate, BUT pretty much grew up in love with the no relationship Audrey. I often told my wife she would lose me in a split second if Audrey called and asked me to fly to CA.

OK, as for Kate's picture. Not of, but by.
    Which is not really fun trying to research.
    Anyone have a decent recipe to share for searching for --- A Watercolor done BY Kate Hepburn?
    I've used perhaps ten or fifteen other ways, and am frustrated.

I'm at the point of buying a copy of the one I have and maybe cutting off the sig. on mine and adding it to the new one.
    The old pic. is well foxed and I believe would sacrifice the sig. if treated in any number of ways.

When I started last night I did find one similar watercolor, signed Kate Hepburn. Asking? $2,200. For that I'd try to salvage mine. But have any sold near that figure?

Any other ideas are very welcome.

8. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

This does look like a signed print, judging by the offered sale of an unsigned duplicate.
    I've no idea of value, but here's a website listing some items signed by her at around $500-$800.
    Even if the print itself is beyond salvage, you'd think the signature, if a genuine original, would have some value.
    http://www.autographsmovieposters.com/Hepburn_autograph_letter.htm

9. TheOLdGuy

Thanks a lot, AF. I hadn't thought of checking just autographs. But it does add to my thought the pic is signed by her. Not a fake.

Boy, she was in a bit of a hurry with that note to Herb. Or maybe not totally recovered. :oops:

I'm curious as to why she used what looks like a line through a C for some.

Gonna be busy today, but may check an artist/restorer I've consulted with before.

Draft saved Draft deleted