Helping Date Lincoln Print Card (Red Border)

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by ScanticAntiques, Jul 8, 2015.

1. ScanticAntiques

ScanticAntiques Well-Known Member

Hello,

Can anyone help date this printed image of Lincoln?

I can't find any others like it.

I'm guessing the 1940's?

Sorta looks cut like old Bond Bread Cards

Anywho, any help would be appreciated! IMG_2102.JPG IMG_2103.JPG IMG_2106.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Not sure, but... can you tell what printing method was used? That might help to date it. Also, the red finish on the front looks sort of glossy, but also not smooth. Is that how is, really? What is the size? Is the card similar to the same kind of card stock used for cabinet photos, or is it different in some way?

KingofThings likes this.
  3. ScanticAntiques

Unsure of the printing method. It's not gloss covered (red), but it's thiner than a CDV / Cabinet Photo. It's almost like victorian trade card paper.

Sorta reminds me of 1930's - 1940's baseball cards.

KingofThings and Figtree3 like this.
  4. Figtree3

Odd... if you are getting a 1930s-1940s vibe, that is probably significant. Maybe somebody else will know.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. ScanticAntiques

Yeah, I'm not honestly sure. I could totally be off lol I can't believe there is no like print or copyright etc marks.

Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

This is identical to a lithograph hanging in my office. No attributions on the front and I've never taken it apart. I can't find another on the net at the moment.
    Notice the tie is at the same position as your photo. However your photo looks a tad bit younger, and the tuft of hair on the right is a little different.

[​IMG]

ScanticAntiques likes this.
  7. ScanticAntiques

So Strange, I find it odd that they wouldn't have marked these! They do look very similar!

8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Can you take a closeup shot at the macro setting? That might help in identifying the process.

9. Figtree3

Clutteredcloset, I can't tell for sure on yours, but in the image ScanticAntiques posted his eyes appear to be rolled upwards a bit. They do look alike. I have a feeling that his tie might have often looked like that.

10. ScanticAntiques

Unfortunately don't have a Micro Option. But hopefully this is a little better! IMG_2103.JPG

Pat P likes this.
  11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Yup, that helped to identify the process. I can see the regular little dots that means the card was produced using a photo offset (photolithograph) technique.

It could have been printed in the late 1800s, or anytime since... which I know doesn't help much.

12. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Pat, the original of yours was taken on 8 Nov. 1863 by Alexander Gardner:
    https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Abraham_Lincoln_November_1863.jpg

I suspect Scantic is a copy of the same, but edited to remove the hair tuft, lines, wrinkles and has a grainier look that makes him look younger. As to his eyes, on zooming in themn in both pictures their angle is not that different.

Pat, the following link has several Lincoln posters with your pic including some posters like yours, I think. Love the posters with the cat sitting in his lap!
    http://www.zazzle.com/abraham+lincoln+posters

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  13. Figtree3

Thanks for posting that link from Wikimedia Commons. I can see the eyes now. I think those were also edited slightly for the image in the photo under discussion here.

14. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Susan -
    Thank you for the information.
    At least now I can put it on the back of the print.

Mine actually looks more like the ones that would have hung in government buildings, school rooms, post offices, court rooms, etc. Mine is the same photo by Gardner but the portrait is inside an oval shape inside a square shape with fine lines as texture. My frame is old, black lacquer with gold trim.

I have not found an exact match to the entire print.

Draft saved Draft deleted