Help

Discussion in 'Books' started by a.makarius, Apr 27, 2021.

1. a.makarius

a.makarius New Member

Hello.
    have a nice day)
    I have this book. Who can tell what kind of book it is and when and by whom it was published? umIBE26D-IU.jpg 0p4_PbxMjw0.jpg ва.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Cross on the front suggests it's a religious book, perhaps a prayer book? Language is German. Are there no details on the first or last few pages with a title, date, publishing details etc?

3. Hamburger

Hamburger Absolute Beginner

As Ce BCA says, the title pages would help enormously -- the book most probably has text saying exactly what it is! ;)

The pages you show include verses from German protestant hymns. Possibly a book with hymns and readings ordered according to the church year?

Aquitaine and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. a.makarius

a.makarius New Member

the title page and the first and last pages are missing.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Looks like it is a so-called Service Book (like a priest's manual for mass), photo 2 has texts for the Introïtus (start of mass) for every day of Advent.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    KikoBlueEyes and Ce BCA like this.
  6. Hamburger

Hamburger Absolute Beginner

It could be. But it could also be a hymn book published for a much wider audience.

I've just checked a much more recent Evangelisches Gesangbuch here at home and the 1600+ pages include similar detail.

A few more pages really would help, especially any lists (of Sundays or psalms or first lines of hymns, for example) or index pages.

KikoBlueEyes and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Ex Libris

Ex Libris Well-Known Member

Yes, this is a German service book, somewhere printed in the second half of the 19th century or early 20th century in a so called Fraktur font. These kind of books were printed a lot in those times by a lot of different printers, so it is nearly impossible to identify the correct edition without the title page or some kind of colofon. A book like this in this state has almost no value.

8. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

All previous replies sound correct to me. A hymn book like this is typically found in churches in front of the parishioners at about 8-10 feet apart. I saw them in Swedish [state] churches, Protestant.

The books are there for parishioners to sing the hymns in the service. Which hymns are planned for that day are listed on a blackboard in front of the church, only by the hymn numbers corresponding to the ones in the book. That this book is all beat up is not surprising. When these books became like that they were put out to trash, replaced with new ones. Someone who wanted one could help themself to it from the trash heap.

9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted