Help with Valuing Items

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ckaihar, Aug 8, 2022.

1. ckaihar

ckaihar New Member

Hi everyone, I’m new here and found myself here through an unfortunate circumstance..

Since my grandparents have both passed my family has started to clean out their house to get it ready to sell and they let all of the grandkids take what we wanted. So, my wife and I chose a few things and shipped them back from CA to SC with hopes and plans of passing them down to our kids once they get older. Unfortunately, when the box that we carefully packed arrived at our house it looked like it had been run over by a truck..

So, now I find myself with the impossible task of trying to prove the value of the items in order to make an insurance claim with the shipping company. My issue is that I don’t know anything about the items and I have to prove the value with receipts or sold ebay listings. I’ve figured out that some of the pieces are Imari and Yunomi but I’m lost on everything else. Please foregive me as I don't know how to describe many of the items – do I call them China, are they porcelain, etc.

Any help would be much appreciated and if you can point me to anything that proves the value of these I would really appreciate it!

I’ve listed out the items below and I’ll try to figure out how to post photos of all of the pieces as well. We went and glued everything that we could together in an attempt to preserve the pieces for sentimental value.

Thank you!

1. 2 pieces from a set of 5 bowls roughly 5” in diameter
    2. 1 bowl/dish roughly 5” from a set of 3 in varying sizes
    3. 1 cup from a set of 2 Yunomi
    4. 2 tea cups from a set of 5 cups and teapot
    5. Teapot from above set
    6. 1 serving dish roughly 8.5” in diameter
    7. 1 serving dish roughly 9 x 8.75”
    8. 1 Imari dish roughly 10” in diameter
    9. 1 fish shaped dish roughly 10” in diameter
    10. 1 Imari dish roughly 15.5” in diameter.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    judy likes this.
  2. ckaihar

ckaihar New Member

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

If I'm correct, you have 25 images???? I just went to the Gallery to see them..... they are all over 1 MB.....each has to be under 1MB to post here on this site and there are a couple of ways to do this!! It's a bit time consuming, but NOT impossible!! HOW awful that the shipping company did this to you and I hope they compensate you fairly!! To start, IF you're using a cell phone, you might try emailing EACH photo to yourself.....as a MEDIUM sized image....your photos are good and clear, so it should be fine!! Once that's done, you can load 8 photos in each 'post'...what I'm doing right here....and then start another one right below and another one right below the second!! AND DON'T HESITATE TO ASK QUESTIONS IF YOU HAVE ANY!!! I'm also going to list below a couple of ways to get your images up.....You did a GREAT start just getting them all in the Gallery!!! Help is always available too!! Once you have eyes on your broken dishes, you'll get help specific to them!

Each image MUST be UNDER 1 MB....
    There are instructions on site here on how to reduce the size of your image, if that is the problem......you are allowed up to 8 images per post!!! Here are some links to the instructions:

If on the computer:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/posting-a-thread-and-uploading-pictures.15990/

If on an iPhone:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/resizing-photos-on-i-phone.35097/

And if on an Android phone:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/using-an-android-phone-for-pics-on-antiquers.41709/

ALSO, JUST BEFORE you hit "Post", be sure to click on the VERY TOP IMAGE in your list that says to "POST EVERY IMAGE FULL SIZE"....it will do the rest for you!!! As an FYI you may want to copy this tidbit for future use until used to doing it!! Happy posting!:happy::happy::):) OH, and WELCOME!!!!

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Ebay sold items
    replacements . c om
    etsy sold items

5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Claihar!

Welcome to Antiquers...........:happy:

Aquitaine and ckaihar like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome @ckaihar , I am sorry for your loss.
    And I am sorry your grandparents' porcelain was handled so badly.
    From what I can see it is mostly mid-century Japanese porcelain, so that could be a search term.
    Your grandparents had taste, it is all very nice.

Aquitaine and sabre123 like this.
  7. ckaihar

ckaihar New Member

Thank you! I've been on ebay and trying to find comparable sold items but it's tough because I don't know how to reference the items or terms to search with. I did not know about replacments.com so I'll look that up!

Is there a way to search for sold items on Etsy? I looked earlier and couldn't figure it out/

I really need help figure out what they are or the style with which to search on these sites if at all possible!

8. ckaihar

ckaihar New Member

I'll try this again today! I was able to upload the images into an album that I created and I labeled each photo according to the number in the list above. Did that work?

https://www.antiquers.com/media/albums/japanese-pieces.1221/

Aquitaine likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

10. ckaihar

ckaihar New Member

Here is item #1 IMG_2655.jpg IMG_2656.jpg IMG_2657.jpg

11. ckaihar

ckaihar New Member

Here is item #2 IMG_2662.jpg IMG_2663.jpg IMG_2664.jpg

12. ckaihar

ckaihar New Member

Here is item #3 IMG_2667.jpg IMG_2668.jpg IMG_2669.jpg IMG_2672.jpg

13. ckaihar

ckaihar New Member

Items #4 & 5 IMG_2679.jpg IMG_2680.jpg IMG_2682.jpg IMG_2687.jpg

14. ckaihar

ckaihar New Member

15. ckaihar

ckaihar New Member

16. ckaihar

ckaihar New Member

17. ckaihar

ckaihar New Member

18. ckaihar

ckaihar New Member

19. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I would try the terms "Japanese Stoneware Tea Set" in eBay sold items. You may be able to find something close to your set. I am sorry for the loss of your grandparents and the damage to your items.

Aquitaine, Any Jewelry and ckaihar like this.
  20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Although I can't help, I wanted to express my sympathy for the situation you find yourself in.

Debora

ckaihar likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted