Featured Help with value of stone bookends

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Survivalist306, Feb 28, 2024.

1. Survivalist306

Survivalist306 New Member

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site, and I've recently gotten into buying and selling things. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about what these bookends are worth? Could they be petrified wood, or does anyone know what kind of stone? They're quite heavy, height is about 6 inches. From a quick internet search they might be worth a few bucks but it's hard to say.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I expect they're very heavy. They look like agate or onyx to me.

cxgirl, Survivalist306 and laura9797 like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Survivalist306 and laura9797 like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

and since they are not carved......value will be minimal ..

5. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

You should probably be looking at plain rock bookends. I hope you are selling locally because the shipping weight on these would probably be prohibitive.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, they look like "Mexican onyx", which is not actually onyx but travertin. So don't sell them as onyx, but as travertin or "Mexican onyx", so people will know what they are buying.
    Real onyx is more valuable, and you don't want to start your selling 'career' with bad reviews.:nailbiting:
    And as mirana said, sell locally because of the weight.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

As to value... check eBay Completed and Sold listings. (I always sort by Price + Shipping: Highest First too which gives one an idea if worth one's time to attempt to sell.) That will give you an idea of supply and interest. As you're a new member, I've done the eBay search for you. Here's what I found in a Sold search with key words "Mexico" "onyx" and "bookends." 24 sold. All carved or shaped and selling prices not high.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=mexico+onyx+bookends&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_sop=16

When I look at Current listings, 345 on offer. That tells one the the supply is much higher than collector interest.

You might want to scroll through and see if you can find any direct comparisons like these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305120893895?itmmeta=01HQTMYRWZWR2ASMBPGWMHBT0Y&hash=item470a9f5bc7:g:NfQAAOSwD61k96Wf&itmprp=enc:AQAIAAAA8BM+rlXtU+idq/ffrertdQgAqlIUX4d2H5YxZvR6i72G8qR9DYytQpPOsHb9fWWAy7eQVltBM+hxcEEmXT0dPz1jxJUK8/8hEXnLWGGhquI0gZzZAW9Hc+oXlbdE6eviTU7bdB5pu3wG2kg+8h/2YSKCC/Fdqnge7ZyhSbLI610Wd0d7eVINHIxi+SZNN7+HkQL3KNWM/a/0ddtmZJlOTtsq+EOJiMqUsjZ2kyjM0s0eTPJvzoF5Hm7/3yHMRJzjmwHEu5P+We584TknKXDaZ2sqjHCgNI2jhg6k77Cph3oDDCo/5fWzdHV5brNNcFAXBw==|tkp:Bk9SR8aO-9S-Yw

Debora

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
    Marote, Survivalist306 and mirana like this.
  8. Survivalist306

Survivalist306 New Member

Hey everyone, thanks so much for taking the time to help me with this! They definitely do look quite similar to the Mexican onyx but I still wasn't sure so I kept looking, I think I finally found something that looks really similar:

https://www.rubylane.com/item/1470117-1671/Outstanding-Pair-Original-Vintage-Modern-Solid

It says made in mexico so maybe this is the same thing as Mexican onyx? I'm really no expert. They have more of the white but the wood grain look, looks very similar to mine.

Either way, not worth much but I only paid 11 bucks. I might just keep them, they're pretty cool

Thanks again everyone! I'm very grateful to have found this forum

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Good find. The bookends on the Ruby Lane link do appear to be the same color of Mexican onyx. Glad you can put yours to use.

Debora

Survivalist306 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted