Featured Help with twin movement mantel clock

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by laura9797, Jan 31, 2019.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Does anyone recognize the stamp on the movement? I know I have seen it before but can't find it. It doesn't help that the dial has a bit of wear and also difficult as well - looks like "Merle" and "Dison" (?) figuralclock.jpeg merlemovement.jpeg figuralclock.jpeg merlemovement.jpeg merle.JPG merle2.JPG I am assuming French case? Thank you for looking.

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Dijon (France)

judy and i need help like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

It sold for $450.

judy and i need help like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

6. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

It didn't sell. Lot passed.

I'm surprised they got a bid that high, though it was five years ago.
    I'd be happy with $40-50 for it today.

judy likes this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Sorry. I misunderstood. It said two bids. The second was for $450.

judy likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

their estimate was 800 - 1200. 450 may be the high bid....but it wouldn't sell for that low below the estimate.

judy likes this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO.
    remnant of a "garniture de cheminée" with an imperial chicken - probably holding a baguette in its claws - Napoleon III style.
    clock face with small flowers used at least from 1870s - 1900s. Merle in Dijon was probaly the shop who bought the parts where there were cheapest and assembled them.
    in this state without the two vases or chandeliers and rather mediocre quality I'd try to sell it at 80 - 120 starting price at a fleamarket.

10. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It is a countwheel strike bell striking French clock from about 1870. It has Brocot suspension for the pendulum.It is a tIme and strike movement, not a twin movement. I do not know the movement maker off hand but it does not really matter, all French movements of the period were fine pieces of work and all to about the same high standard. The case is probably patinated spelter, scratch somewhere underneath to see if the metal is silvery. If a gold colour then it is probably bronze, but this is unlikly.
    Never, ever, shoot pictures into a light, always have the brightest light behind you, unless you are after a deliberate artistic effect.
    Looking at it again it may be black marble, actually a dense black Belgian limestone. The metal part may be spelter, though.

Way out of fashion now, the value would be modest but a lot depends on where you are.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    i need help likes this.
  11. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. I didn't bother checking liveauctioneers as I couldn't access internet or wireless at the estate until I got home. I am willing to bet the eagle cresting is spelter or pot metal. Hadn't tested it yet and will be listing it as not running since the cover to the dial, the pendulum is lacking. The owner had some of the most scarce tall case and bracket clocks in this country so I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. I will be happy to share a link once everything is cataloged in case any one is interested?

Draft saved Draft deleted