Featured Help with tobacco humidor

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Dory64, Aug 20, 2023.

1. Dory64

Dory64 Well-Known Member

Hi
    I bought this lovely Royal Doulton tobacco humidor in an online auction recently but am unable to remove the lid - I've had one before so know how it's meant to work but it appears to be stuck when the handle is even with the gaps.
    I've tried putting hot water in there in the hopes it might expand enough to remove, and also eucalyptus oil incase it was stuck by some residue but to no avail.
    Thanks in advance for any helpful ideas.
    IMG_20230820_160842_resized_20230820_050500313.jpg IMG_20230820_160848_resized_20230820_050500891.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

flood it with WD 40.....let it sit overnight....then apply light pressure to the handle...

just a thought

3. Dory64

Dory64 Well-Known Member

Thanks Komokwa, we have CRC Penetrate, that's similar isn't it?

4. komokwa

I think yours is a much stronger product , that does more than unstick , lubricate and protect..

Dory64 likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You can also try lighter fluid.

Dory64 likes this.
  6. komokwa

it's a lovely piece.......:happy:

Dory64 likes this.
  7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Lovely jar-Cat Treats or Ganja ?

Dory64 likes this.
  8. Dory64

Dory64 Well-Known Member

Thanks Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Dory64

Dory64 Well-Known Member

Lol - definitely not cat treats ;)

Attached Files:

10. baltojoe75

baltojoe75 Well-Known Member

Try something that can dissolve old dried up rubber. I had a similar styled one by another maker and there was a black gasket on the underside of the lid that had become like super glue. I used high grade alcohol and flooded it on the top of the lid and let it sit overnight.

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That’s Doulton Lambeth that is and if you show the base I can probably give you chapter and verse.

Have you actually soaked it in hot water for a few hours? As in, in a bucket of it?

wd40 might also work.

Figtree3 and bercrystal like this.
  12. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

goo gone

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. Dory64

Dory64 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that I've been trying isopropyl alcohol and it seems to be working but it evaporates ans the dries harder. I'll keep working on it.

14. Dory64

Dory64 Well-Known Member

15. Dory64

Dory64 Well-Known Member

Thanks OBB, yes Doulton Lambeth and still has original paper sticker which I've never had on Lambeth before. I only tried very hot water on the lid. I might try lid side down in a bucket as I want the sticker to remain intact.

16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Good thinking on the label. You could also wrap the base in clingfilm.

Draft saved Draft deleted