Featured Help with this postcard written in Ottoman Turkish

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Bookahtoo, Mar 8, 2023.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I've had this postcard for a while. I just came across it again and remembered I'd never figured out what it says.

The stamp is from 1917, eleven years before the Arabic script was replaced by the Latin script for written Turkish. Apparently, Ottoman Turkish is a mix of Arabic and Persian.
    I tried taking a photo of the message and running it through the Arabic translator on Google but the translator came up with nonsense, and also kept changing the translation every few seconds.

The postcard probably isn't that interesting, but you never know, considering the era in which it was written.

Can anyone help?

batch_IMG_3218.jpeg

batch_IMG_3219.jpeg

batch_IMG_3223.jpeg

batch_IMG_3221.jpeg

Figtree3, Rec, wlwhittier and 3 others like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

FASCINATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And WHO would know if it was something "TOP SECRET"?

@Bookahtoo, I didn't check it out, other than to ASK DuckDuckGo.com if they had a language translator and it appears they DO.....just an FYI....

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  3. Bookahtoo

Thanks Aqui - I'll go look.

4. Bookahtoo

Duck Duck Go does not have Ottoman Turkish. Only Arabic - like Google.

LauraGarnet02 and Aquitaine like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Sivas is a city in central Turkey and the seat of Sivas Province. The city, which lies at an elevation of 1,278 metres in the broad valley of the Kızılırmak river, is a moderately-sized trade centre and industrial city, although the economy has traditionally been based on agriculture.

That's crazy cool !

pearlsnblume and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

LauraGarnet02 and wlwhittier like this.
  7. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Maybe not...but it is Wildly Beautiful!
    Interesting in an occult way, without threat. Thanks, Books...

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

9. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

i found information about the stamp, it's a 10 para "Evladi-suheda" stamp.

From 1915, apart from the postage, it was decided to collect taxes to help the children of the dead soldiers!The star to be placed on the "tax stamp" is printed as a six-pointed instead of a five-pointed star as a result of mistake.Here is a special name for this series:“Six-star Son of Suheda stamp!.

Your's have a five pointed star so it would be a later version.

https://numismezat.com/en/product/5...a-vergisi-pulu-damgali-tam-seri-katalog-20-tl

10. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

This may be some of it ...
    Screen Shot 2023-03-08 at 1.36.13 PM.png

11. Bookahtoo

Thanks Roaring. Maybe if I combined that with some of the Arabic translation I'll get something!

Thank you for the information about the stamp, rec. I looked at one of the six pointed ones - wow!

Thanks for your enthusiasm and suggestions everyone! I'm glad you find it as intriguing as I do.

12. GreekAntiques

GreekAntiques "Wisdom begins in wonder." Socrates

Thank you for your vote of confidence, @Any Jewelry. Unfortunately, my education did not include "OsmanlıcaTürkçe" which is what the Turks call the Ottoman script/language.

@Bookahtoo, I also find it intriguing. I can offer up two references for future translation and further investigation, if you have the time and appetite for a deep dive.

The first is DEEPL, which is what I use for translation. You will find it at DEEPL.com It only translates from modern Turkish, but that might get you a little bit further down the road.

You can also consult LEXILOGOS, which has a page dedicated to Ottoman Turkish references. But it will be a research job. See https://www.lexilogos.com/english/ottoman_turkish_dictionary.htm

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  13. Bookahtoo

Thank you for the help and the resources @GreekAntiques.
    Maybe I'll do the research this summer when I don't have to be "on call" for for my 15 year old grandchild all day for online school!

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted