Help with some tapestries please

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by tyeldom3, Apr 2, 2017.

1. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

I am somewhat familiar with tapestries, however I have never seen any quite like the ones in question here. The 2 oval ones on the right side are the ones in question.
    There are 3 French tapestry on the left side in photo #1 (the kind I am more familiar with), and 2 oval on the right side, which are made differently, and maybe they are not a tapestry at all, I just don't know:confused:???
    Any help with the oval tapestries are very welcomed & much appreciated, thanks for your time.
    10.jpg
    Photo #2 shows the front side of them, closer up. (French on the left & oval on the right).
    11.jpg
    Photo #3 shows the back sides
    12.jpg
    Photo #4 shows close up of back sides, comparison of the French, next to the oval.
    13.jpg
    14.jpg

cxgirl likes this.
  2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Tyledom, I don't know how they were made, but the oval ones look as if they might have once been on the backs of chairs, sort of like these:
    tapestry chair back.jpg tapestry oval chair back.jpg

cxgirl, tyeldom3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. tyeldom3

Wow, I never thought of that, thanks SBSVC! I was thinking they may have been in a picture frame.
    I forgot measurements too. The larger is about 20" x 15", smaller 18" x 13".

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The two on the lower left I would swear came from a dollar store.I bought several for a project I was doing,they had a wooden dowel across the top to hang them.I of course could be wrong,but they sure look exactly like the ones I had.

5. tyeldom3

They are not from the dollar store Johnny. They are real tapestries stamped made in France on the reverse.
    I know exactly what you are referring to though, I have seen similar. They are copies.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Well at least I wasnt imagining it! :) Any more i have to wonder !

tyeldom3 likes this.
  7. tyeldom3

I know that's right!:joyful: I know they are true vintage anyway... probably pillow fronts at one time.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  8. tyeldom3

Selfish bump, if there are any more thoughts as to the two oval pieces. From doing a little more research, I think they may not be tapestries at all, because I think in order to be deemed a tapestry, the images need to be visible from both sides....but again, I'm not positive about that either.:)

9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

A lot of these tapestries were tourist items brought back by soldiers after WWII. I have several that were brought back by my uncle to my mother and aunts. They are still sold today, but you can usually tell the older ones. I just got a Mac computer and can't figure out how to cut and paste, but if you go to Google and type in "European tourist tapestries" and then click "Images" on the top menu bar, you'll see a lot of them.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  10. tyeldom3

THanks Bev, I appreciate it. My question is for the 2 oval tapestries, not the others. The 2 oval tapestries are made differently, and I'm trying to figure out what they are. They may not even be a tapestry.
    I just showed the other tapestries for comparison purposes.:):)

11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

They could also have been made for fireplace screens. Most were square, but there were other shapes like this.
    1345889_150622233558_001.jpg

tyeldom3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted