Help With Signature On Antique Oil Portrait

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Dec 23, 2014.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

The year looks like 1891 but not sure about the name. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. maryislgal

maryislgal Well-Known Member

Looks like Randolph

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

M.W. Randolph or at least that what it looks like to me.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'm with S-I-S.

5. kardinalisimo

thanks. appears to be not a listed artist. or this could be the name of the portrayed woman?

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think it's the artist. I don't think a sitter's name is generally included on a portrait unless it is an "official" portrait of a prominent individual. And then it's more prominent and clearer.

7. kardinalisimo

I don't know if it matters but the signature is not at the lower end but right above her shoulder.
    I got the painting in Norfolk, Va.
    Found a 1900 Virginia Pilot that mentions Mrs. M.W. Randolph but I have trouble figuring out what is it about.

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It does look like a professional portrait. The surface seems to me to have an oddly matte finish. Is that just the photo?

9. kardinalisimo

forgot the link
    http://virginiachronicle.com/cgi-bin/virginia?a=d&d=VP19000421.1.11

the surface is in kind of not very good condition. needs some cleaning. the piece was very dusty and dirty. I almost missed the siggy, had to wet it down to make it more clear. Did a light cleaning with damp cloth but don't want to try more and do some harm.

10. say_it_slowly

11. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

"Found a 1900 Virginia Pilot that mentions Mrs. M.W. Randolph but I have trouble figuring out what is it about."

That old 1900 Virginian Pilot newspaper which you posted the link to with the name "Mrs. M. W. Randolph" contains that particular name in a "national?" advertisement for a "ladies' medicine' for the "change of life." The "Mrs. M. W. Randolph" asking the question in the advertisement shows her residence (the question coming from) Concordia, Kansas.

12. kardinalisimo

13. yourturntoloveit

Oh my goodness, Kardinalisimo, you may be on the right track with Margaret Watson Randolph (MWR) out in Kansas. Hope this pans out for you -- could be a good find given her suffrage work/interests. ;)

14. say_it_slowly

15. Bakersgma

But in that period of time, wouldn't the initials be her husband's and not her own?

16. yourturntoloveit

I think she dropped the "Anna" part and was known as "Margaret Watson Randolph."

Given that she may have been fairly involved in the suffrage movement (obviously involved enough to have been remembered for it if the link to "Kansas Memory.org" is correct) she may have been known as "Margaret Watson Randolph" in her later life (1890s if not before).

17. say_it_slowly

I flipped the photo from the grave site and darkened the hair, what do you think (ok not the best photo edit).
    margaret randolph.jpg

18. yourturntoloveit

I think I see a resemblance -- that exposed ear in each is large and "set low" to my way of thinking. To me the chin and nose seem right also. It almost makes me wonder if the painting was done from this/a photograph as a "younger" version later in her life.

19. Bakersgma

I agree to a point. There's the curly hair, which could be a case of fashion of course. But the other thing is that the apples of the cheek are much more prominent in the photo than in the painting. In the painting her cheeks look flat.

20. kardinalisimo

Wonder if the Kansas and the Virginia Randolphs are related.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted