Help with Pretty Little Basket

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Bdigger, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

I've had this little basket for a few years now. I bought it at a flea market because it was inexpensive and appealed to me. I don't think it is very old, but it is hard for me to judge that. It 001 (600x547).jpg
    is about 5 1/2 " across the top and just over 2" tall. The Bottom seems to be made with some sort of twig ( thicker and sturdier then a pine needle) and there are 2 circles around the top that also seem to be a twig inside the wrapping material. I can't tell if it is Native, or African. There seems to be a little chevron type design worked into the large straw colored stripe. Can anybody tell me anything about it? Thank you in advance for your input!

001 (600x547).jpg
    004 (600x367).jpg
    011 (600x450).jpg

Attached Files:

lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  2. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

That distinctive dark plaited square start is characteristic of ilala palm fiber baskets woven by Tonga women in Zambia. Similar baskets are also woven across the border in Zimbabwe, but they generally have a light-colored center start instead.

lauragarnet and Bakersgma like this.
  3. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Thank you for that information Taupou

lauragarnet likes this.
  4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Wow, amazing knowledge, Taupou!

lauragarnet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted