Featured Help with Pilgrim’s Flask

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by John Brassey, Sep 30, 2020.

1. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

B6806785-50C2-4012-8928-873A76F75D23.jpeg 5898BBDE-48DD-4EA6-A403-881205D23892.jpeg E17E0DC8-B8A5-4988-A4B8-1D3A07375BD6.jpeg BDCFF0B5-AF58-4D48-9DFF-5FC99A6F7574.jpeg This small pilgrim’s flask was a speculative eBay buy.

It’s made from a soft faience body. After lots of searching I think that the shape suggests that it is Spanish (Asian versions seem to have shorter necks).

It is unusual being decorated on one side only, but it does have an old feel to it. There is some decoration on the back that looks like it came from another piece in the kiln.

It could be an elaborate fake although I’ve found nothing like it to compare to an original.
    I found just one similar one sold at auction in the UK as simply “Pilgrim’s Flask”

As always, help and ideas welcome. Thanks

John

Bronwen, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  2. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with charlie, it looks Moroccan.
    It is decorative imo, meant to be hung on the wall, so you only see one side.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Thirded.

Why on earth that link conflates Iznik with Morocco......!

5. John Brassey

Thanks for the replies. Yes I think you are right, it would tie in with my thought on it being Spanish as there is obviously a lot of Moorish influence in Spain. I will sell it as probably Moroccan. Dating is going to be difficult. I think it's probably early 20th century.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

It is, that rustic style can fool you. My guess would have been 1960s, when Morocco was an important part of the southern Hippie Trail. Before that, decorative objects were made mostly for local people of means and colonials, who were generally more interested in items with a certain prestige.
    I could be wrong though.

The style is either from Fez or from the coastal ceramics town of Safi, maybe googling those names will reveal more. There is also a ceramics museum in Safi.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  7. Any Jewelry

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

9. John Brassey

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. John Brassey

Thank you all for your help. Any Jewelry was spot on. Here’s the response from the museum.

620A72B9-FB73-4BE7-B45A-155595BB7BFB.jpeg

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

He sounds lovely. I bet he'd give you mint tea!

12. Any Jewelry

Thanks for letting us know, John, we love follow ups.
    Unfortunately he didn't say anything about the age, but maybe omission was his polite way of saying it isn't antique.

John Brassey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted