HELP WITH NAME - IS THAT A NAME? ON SMALL ANTIQUE PAINTING

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Sep 6, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at an estate sale last week, but just now got time to look at it. I like it (but if you've read my other posts for help/info, you know I am NOT a art expert!), but I couldn't make the signature (initials). Then when I cropped & enlarged the area it looks like it might not be a signature at all!
    I'd appreciate any help - if you look at the 4th photo in the corner where the canvas meets the frame it looks like a 3 letter name/initials (ETA?) PLUS(!) if you look catty corner (up & a little to the right) it also looks like a 3 letter name or initials in yellow - until I enlarge it (photo 5)
    Are either artist's name/initials?
    Thanks in advance for any help/thoughts.
    AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ANTIQUE SMALL 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ANTIQUE SMALL 2AAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ANTIQUE SMALL 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ANTIQUE SMALL 2CAAAA.jpg
    AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ANTIQUE SMALL 3AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ANTIQUE SMALL 4AA.jpg

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

It does look like something. I see a capital T

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think I can discern a T or F, but I can't see what comes after that exactly. At least 3 more letters.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks like somewhere in the Low Countries, in this case Belgium or The Netherlands.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I "see" a letter "T"... I would not bet money on whether it's really there.

6. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I can see what others see, but my opinion is that it does not look like a sig or initials. There's a fair amount of palette knife work in the piece, it's rough textured, and looks like incidental contact that follows that arcing shape above it. Same color. Just my opinion...

Figtree3, mmarco102, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I saw it too - until I enlarged it & then it became part of the swirl of the paint.
    Any idea of it's age?
    Any thoughts on the painting itself? Is it good, a week end painter, or did I find another factory painting? (I find them a lot it seems!)

8. Jivvy

I think it's someone who likes to paint -- not a factory painter. I'd bet the frame is from the same time, so if you can date that, I think you'll have a good estimate.

judy, Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Beauty is in the eye!

The painting is done in an Impasto technique where the paint is laid down thickly. The artist was really interested in capturing the quality of light of the gray day, and found the red roofs very intriguing.

I would say that the artist had a sense of color theory. Predominantly red with green pops of color. Green is the complement of red on the color wheel and, used sparingly, adds a bit of tension and drama. This technique of using complimentary colors to add interest has been well employed through the years.

In terms of the composition, the artist used a two-thirds dark to one-third light and that usually works, but overall, it's is a bit stagnant.

That's my critique. That and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee!

10. Jivvy

I'm compelled to make clear that I don't say "someone who liked to paint" as a means of insult or an evaluation of skill level.

My house is filled with paintings from "people who liked to paint".

In fact, as I think about it, I think those are the only paintings -- oh no, wait, we have one family portrait done by a known portrait painter. It's close to my least favorite piece in the house. :hilarious::bag: (but it has a great deal of sentimental value, so there's that!)

Oh, and Mr. Jivvy is "someone who likes to paint".

Draft saved Draft deleted