Help with Metal Bookshelf

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by DeAnne, Sep 6, 2022.

1. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

Does anyone happen to know the maker? I have found several that are similar but only a 3 that are the exact same design a gold one a black one an one someone painted hot pink. Based on the screws an nuts it's definitely old. Most people call them MCM but I'm thinking older. Another crazy thing is the wood grain finish on it is actually hand panted. Any ideas? I know it's not worth a ton but for those of you who have known me for awhile already know my brain just wants to know things. It just can't let it go. TIA

IMG_7087.jpg

IMG_7089.jpg

IMG_7090.jpg

pearlsnblume likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It does look to me like yours is an early version of this type of shelving, but I think that would still be 1960s.

I've purchased multiple shelving units at intervals down through the years and it's amazing the ways they find to make them cheaper and cheaper and cheaper.

The last unit I purchased had a rated weight capacity of 200lbs per shelf. I put a dozen books on one shelf and it was sagging like a piece of cloth. I think the 200lbs was the shear strength of the bolts holding the shelf in place. Even if the shelf could take the weight, the uprights would never support it.

I still have one of those wood-grain finished units (disassembled). I'm certain the "grain" on mine is printed. I'll try to get a picture.

pearlsnblume and DeAnne like this.
  3. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

I'm going to say you are correct on the weight thing because the shelves are so thin.
    It wasn't until I looked at the back an underneath that I figured out this one was hand painted. They even did the screws. My eyes are definitely not what the used to be.

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

See these and similar all the time. Agree with a 60s date. If your shelves are hand painted, I have to think it is not original.

DeAnne likes this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Surprisingly difficult pictures to take. Low light and cheap camera isn't a good combination.

Here's how my shelves look (and they are stamped metal):
    Dscn4510a.jpg

Don't quite know what to make of this detail:
    Dscn4521a.jpg

Maybe some kind of a decal process? Definitely not hand painted.

pearlsnblume and DeAnne like this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Once when I was looking for a job, I went for an interview at a place that made stamped metal garden sheds. I was a hundred yards from the plant and the ground was shaking beneath my feet from the force of their presses. I skipped the interview.

Draft saved Draft deleted