Help With Mark On Chinese Peking Glass Teapot

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Jul 17, 2014.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Not sure if that is called peking glass.
    Don't think it is very old. I would think that mark on the bottom is not important. Curious about the other two marks on the underside of the lid.
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dcjunker

dcjunker Member

Did KHL make it over here?

3. kardinalisimo

I think he did.

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

May be an obvious question, but are you sure this is glass? The underside of the lid makes it look more like resin to me. Best hope would be if it's amber, but I find that difficult to imagine. Does the surface feel slightly oily, or greasy? It is cool to the touch, or warm?

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Couple other questions: How big is it? Does it feel light for its size, or heavy?

6. dcjunker

dcjunker Member

Also: I learned (the hard way) that Peking glass may have a few bubbles -- that helps differentiate it from jade. Agree with Bob that this might not be glass.

7. kardinalisimo

8. kardinalisimo

I find some more shipped from China so i guess they are not old. They have yellowish stuff all over which was present on mine. I thought it was some kind of tarnish and cleaned most of it. Seems like it was part of the decoration. But it came off easy rubbing with a toothbrush.

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Several of the same model seem to be on eBay under "amber teapot". Most likely a synthetic, but it could be rosin (like they use on violin bows). If it is rosin, you should feel resistance if you give it a good rub and I would expect a distinctive odor. I can't imagine using rosin (or amber) for a teapot, unless you're talking cold tea. Either material has a fairly low melting point. I would expect the yellow dust to be just that, and added for realism.

Draft saved Draft deleted